Chapter 14

Damon jumped off me, startled. Delaney stared down at us grinning, while Gabe looked around in bewilderment.

"Don't you guys knock," Damon grumbled, stepping away from me. Slowly, I got up, wanting to die of humiliation. God, Laney's prediction was coming true.

"I'm going to get cleaned up," Damon muttered.

"Wait!" I shouted. He paused looking back at me. "Don't go upstairs, you'll make a mess." He sighed, but then went into the downstairs bathroom.

Laney and Gabe both bombarded me the second the door closed.

Gabe groaned at me. "Liv, what are you doing? You don't want to fall for him. What are you going to do after the year is over?"

Laney glared at him as he said that. "Why not? Damon likes her too, they could end up together if she just takes the chance." There was an unmistakable tension between the two. They clearly still hadn't worked through their issues.

"I have a feeling that this isn't just about me anymore," I eyed them. "Can you guys both just get over yourselves and talk this out."

They gaped at me in surprise before looking at each other. It was clear they'd been avoiding the elephant in the room. Laney nodded slowly. "First let me grab a pair of clothes for you."

She rushed upstairs, leaving me alone with Gabe. He smiled at me tentatively. "Liv, you know I didn't mean it like that. You're like my little sister and I don't want to see you getting hurt."

I sighed. "I know, Gabe. You're right... I just can't help myself. Being around him just makes me so much happier, I don't know."

Laney rushed back with a scheming glint on her face. "Liv, all I could find were these shorts." She handed me the shorts I had worn the first night.

I rolled my eyes, knowing there was no arguing with her. She rushed back upstairs, no doubt to find me a bra- oops, I meant a shirt.

"Get out," I demanded. Gabe listened, leaving to sit in the living room. I struggled out of my jeans; wet jeans are disgusting and a total hassle to take off. I finally managed to throw them off and pull on the shorts. "I'm done," I called to Gabe.

He came back to the kitchen and lowered his voice. "I was going to ask Dee on a date today."

I smiled. "Finally Gabe!" I groaned as I felt water and flour continue running down my back. I stopped my conversation to tie up my hair. Remembering that I was wearing a tank under my shirt anyway, I decided to take my shirt off too. Hearing a commotion as someone walked in, I started talking, my eyes covered by the shirt I was struggling to take off.

"Hey Laney, did you get me a shirt?" When I got no response, I pulled off the last bit of the shirt, only to find Damon staring at me.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He hissed at Gabe who was three feet away from me.

He rolled his eyes. "Get over yourself Damon. I'm standing like five feet away from her. I'm not trying to make a move on your girl."

"So don't look!" Damon stomped over to stand in front of me, easily covering me.

I clutched the back of Damon's shirt, peeking out from behind him. "Gabe, can you just tell him! It's better if we do it now than if he finds out later anyway."

Damon whirled around to face me. "Tell me what?"

"Liv, I can't. He would feel so betrayed," Gabe pleaded with me.

I stared him straight in the eye. "This is your best friend. As long as he knows you're serious about it and it's not just a fling, he won't mind."

"I do mind. I do fucking mind." Damon raged at him. "She. Is. Mine." He enunciated each word, reaching over to pull me closer to him. "I can't believe you guys went behind my back and had a relationship." Damon turned to me accusingly, "I trusted you." The pain in his eyes shattered my heart.

Suddenly, I pulled away. "Wait, Damon what are you talking about? Gabe and I are not in a relationship!" I gave Gabe a look, telling him to start before Damon blew up again.

He sighed. "Damon...I love Delaney. I've loved her for the past five years and I want to be with her. A serious relationship, no flings."

"W-what?" I heard a shaky sob from the doorway. In the heat of the moment, none of us had heard Laney come down the stairs.

Gabe turned around, stunned. "You-you love me?" She asked, stumbling a little closer to him.

He smiled softly at her. "I always have Dee. I was just too scared and stupid to say anything." He walked towards her, until she was right in front of him. Laney wiped the tears out of her eyes, throwing herself on top of him. I smiled, happy they had finally gotten together.

I turned to Damon, giving him a playful, reprimanding look. "Do you have anything you want to say for yourself?"

He looked away from me, a pinkish color tinging his cheeks.