8. Promises

-Dante-

-Dante-

It was hard to talk about Lena and her disgusting facility. The memories of what they did to me made me nauseated and took away the little willpower I had left, but I had to continue. Chase deserved an explanation. It was unforgivable of me I didn't tell him everything the second he let me into his home.

I couldn't look at him while I talked. I attacked him... I had turned and went for his throat the second my transformation was complete. All I could remember from that moment was a blurry image of his shocked expression. He survived only because he was a warlock, and that thought made me sick to my stomach.

When I was finally done talking, Chase stayed silent. I could feel him staring at me. He didn't say a word at first, but then he stood up.

"What the actual fuck?" he asked loudly. I shrugged without looking at him. He took a few steps away from me, but then turned back to face me. "Are you serious?"

"It's true, I swear..." I mumbled, realizing just now how unbelievable my story was.

"Your wife kidnapped you and made you her lab rat? Are you fucking serious?"

I carefully peered at him. He looked angry. I was surprised to see him so angry. "Do you now understand why I shouldn't stay here?"

"Oh, you're not going anywhere," he told me almost absentmindedly. "You're going to tell me where that place is so I can introduce those sick fucks to my Eru."

I looked down at my hands, feeling slightly better now, knowing that he believed me. "I don't want to go anywhere near that place. I don't even remember how to get there... I wasn't paying much attention to where I was driving when I escaped."

I saw him staring at me from the corner of my eye. "We can't just let them get away with it! And there's what, a dozen of us still trapped there?"

"We?" I asked, looking up at him. "You have nothing to do with them. You need to kick my ass to the curb and stay far away from those lunatics!"

Chase snorted loudly at me. "Yes, let's forget that I'm a warlock who tamed his own freaking demon."

"I'm serious!" I stood up and stepped closer to him. "You have no idea what I'm capable of! I could kill you in a heartbeat if I change back into that thing! I did almost kill you!"

"Please – that wasn't even close!" he said dismissively, and his attitude was making me mad.

"Look," I practically spat at him, but I never got to finish that sentence. I was hit with the already familiar pain as my body started to change. I looked down at my hands and saw gray fur beginning to grow. "No... not again...!"

"You need to calm down," Chase hurried to say and grabbed my hands in his. "Look at me."

I was shaking all over when I forced myself to look at him. I could feel him squeezing my hands, and he smiled. "Anger triggers transformations, so I need you to take deep breaths, okay?"