23. The Importance of Feng Shui

-Chase-

-Chase-

Dante was pretty much bedridden. I kept him company whenever he was awake, which wasn't that often, and for the rest of the time, I helped Ben cleaning the house. It wasn't an easy task for my surprise. On the first day, we did our best to get rid of the dust, sand, dirt, and spiderwebs that covered every inch of the space.

I also made a permanent portal for us to use. Since there weren't enough doorways in that place, I built a fake one right next to the front door and opened the portal home. There was a lot of things I needed to get – more ingredients for Dante's potion and clean clothes, for example – and Zane and Aaliyah also needed a way to travel back and forth since both of them had personal lives to attend to, so having a permanent portal made our lives much easier.

When I visited home to get my favorite shampoo, I remembered the shop. I felt a bit guilty for keeping it closed, but right now I didn't have time for it, and since Frank was still happily drinking in Hawaii, there wasn't any other option. At least my regulars understood that I needed the break, and there was another shop on the other side of the city so they could go there in emergencies.

I knew Frank would yell at me once he heard about it, but the shop was his responsibility as well.

Once we had cleared out all the dust, we turned our attention to the couch Dante had slept on during the first night. There was no way we could clean it with normal methods since the cushions had been soaked in blood, and I suspected that it had gotten all the way to the framework.

"I think I can clean it with my magic," I told Ben while inspecting it.

"Really? That's so handy," he said, moving closer to see what I was doing.

I nodded and straightened my posture, looking for Eru. She had found a nice place to sleep on top of the biggest bookshelf in the room, so my magic was as strong as it could get here on Earth. Of course, cleaning a couch didn't require my full power.

"Stand back," I told Ben, and then turned to look at the couch, raising my hands as they did in movies – completely unnecessary, but I did have an audience. "Clean!" I yelled, focusing all my might on the couch, and...

The whole thing burst out in flames.

"Wh – NO!" I yelled when the heat hit us.

Both Ben and I rushed to get the buckets we had used while cleaning and threw the dirty water in the flames. It wasn't enough. The couch was burning hot, and I feared the fire would get out of hand if we didn't act fast. Taking out the flames took awfully long as we rushed back and forth to get water from the kitchen, but eventually...

"I... I guess this is one way of getting rid of the dirt," Ben said with a pale face after we finally managed to put out the fire.

I let out a deep, frustrated sigh, tossing my bucket away. "My magic is sometimes unpredictable, all right? It's not my fault my teacher couldn't bother to actually teach me!"