35. To The Dark Side

-Chase-

-Chase-

"Like trying to stop a truck..."

I stared at the monitor in front of me, the one connected with the cameras inside Dante's cage, listening in to the quiet conversation the demons were having by the stairs. I couldn't take my eyes off Dante, who was sleeping on the cold floor of his cage, still in his beast form.

"His form was now much bigger than last time," Roe spoke. "When my magic still worked on him..."

"What the hell is he?" Izha whispered. "I've never seen anything like it."

"It is a very rare mutation," Ben explained. "He is still a werewolf, but..." he shrugged.

"How are we supposed to handle him?"

"We're not – we'll find the cure and end this madness," Roe said with a hostile voice. "And then we end those who caused this."

"Look at you. The mighty Roeruiz doing something nice for others," Paraz spoke, gently mocking him. "Why are you so invested in this?"

Roe didn't reply to him, so I finally looked up to see what they were doing. Roe was looking at me, so the others did that too. I didn't say a word, and quickly turned to stare at the monitor again.

"For a mridien," Paraz muttered, probably thinking I couldn't hear him.

"How are we supposed to take him to Njizrski?" Izha asked.

"With Mjyrna," Roe replied shortly. I heard his footsteps coming my way, but I kept staring at Dante. "You still have the ring, right?" he asked once he stopped behind me.

"Yes."

"Good. We can't take any chances," Roe said apologetically.

"I understand."

He placed his hand on my shoulder – a rare gesture from him. I looked up while he was turning back to human, and once his transformation was complete, he smiled at me. "This will be over soon."

"You look creepy when you're trying to be friendly," I muttered, and turned my attention back to the monitor. "It doesn't suit you."

"What an ungrateful mridien I have," he said quietly, but I knew he was joking, just like he knew I was, too. "How long has it been?"

I checked the time from the bottom corner of the screen, and sighed. "Thirty-five minutes..."

"Longer than before," he murmured. "He really is in phase two of... whatever the fuck we're dealing with."

"It happened so fast... I don't understand..."

"Adrenalin," Ben spoke, and I nearly jumped off my seat – I hadn't noticed him behind the monitor. "I should've seen it coming. All this excitement and preparations and... guns... I'm guessing it was too much for him."