24. Early Christmas

-Chase-

-Chase-

The next day arrived cold and windy after a few nice, warm days. Of course, the weather was miserable when we were supposed to start cleaning the yard. At least it wasn't raining. Aaliyah and Zane came to help me because it was a massive task to get rid of the troll corpses, huge piles of bones and all the other debris that filled the yard and the gorge.

And apparently, they both were eager to hear what was going on between Dante and me.

"Okay, I didn't want to ask about it earlier, but..." Zane trailed off as we were pushing a big boulder off the road. "You two kissed."

"When?" I asked absentmindedly – I was trying to figure out what to do with the trolls.

"Right before the battle started. You didn't tell me you two were back together!"

Aaliyah appeared next to us to hear my reply. I sighed at both of them.

"It just happened..." I muttered. "We were in the hotel room and he kissed me."

"Just like that?" Aaliyah asked.

"So, you are together now, right?" Zane asked in excitement.

"I... think so?" I said. "We never talked about it though... But we share the bed and..."

"Are you having sex?"

"What? No!" I glared at Zane.

"You're... not?" he asked in surprise.

"He's injured, for crying out loud," I huffed, grabbing a few branches from the ground and tossing them into the gorge.

"Like that has ever stopped you," Zane chuckled, and fell silent when I glared at him. "Holy shit, you really haven't had sex with him yet?"

"It's been like four days," I noted in annoyance.

"Since when have you waited for four days before jumping the guy?" Zane said. "Injured or not."

Aliyah cleared her throat and gave Zane a nasty look that told him to shut up. I turned my back on both of them.

"Dante nearly died. Besides, he's... special," I said, speaking the last word quietly.

"You always say they're special," Zane said, and immediately yelped in pain. "What?" he asked, and when I turned around, I saw the two of them glaring at each other angrily, Zane rubbing his arm.

"Well, I'm glad you two are back together," Aaliyah said, flashing a smile at me. "He seems like a wonderful guy."

"He is," I murmured, a smile appearing on my lips just for thinking about Dante. "He's different than others."

"That he sure is," Zane said. "So. What are we going to do with all these corpses? They'll soon start to smell when the days get warmer."

"I think we should bury them. Burning isn't good enough since we still need to get rid of their bones," Aaliyah said, wrinkling her nose.