Chapter Seven

It's been about two hours now since I first discovered Oscar's illness, and still no sign of Pierre. My eyes are glued to the horizon, praying that a boat of any sort will pass by. My entire body is frozen with anxiety, as my mind overthinks all the possible dangers that could happen. I just can't picture losing my baby brother. What will my parents say if I call them from halfway across the world, to tell them their son is dead? Will I be able to live the rest of my life knowing I was the one who couldn't save him?

          I toss and turn in the sand, trying to get comfortable, but nothing seems to help. For the most part, Shawn is the one tending to Oscar's needs at this stage. I don't want to go back into the tent and see him in that condition—it's too overwhelming. Just the look of despair in his eyes, the sweat pouring down him like a sauna, and the way he shook and moaned in pain. I've never seen someone in that kind of distress before.

          Nonetheless, I can't help but feel slight resentment towards Pierre. I know it's wrong to blame him, but he said he'd be here first thing in the morning. Is there a possibility that he got lost out at sea? Considering there are thousands of islands in this bloody ocean, that is always possible. Also, the chances of him forgetting about us are low, and I don't believe it's even in our realm to assume that he intentionally left us here. He's such a kind, happy person. There's no way he's capable of doing something so evil...right?

          Shawn slowly crawls out of the tent, a concerned look upon his face.

          "How's he doing?" I ask, even though I already know the answer.

          "Not good," Shawn replies, shaking his head in fear.

          I drop my face down into my hands, trying to calm myself. 

          "What do you think possibly caused all this?" I ask.

          "I have no idea. I wish I knew as well." 

          Gradually, I raise my face away from my hands. I look over and see Christina is still sitting by herself down at the shoreline, her back turned to us. She hasn't said a single word since this morning when she found out about Oscar.

          "Why won't Christina come over here and talk to us?" I slowly stand up beside Shawn. "We need to work together if we're gonna figure this out."

          "I think she might be feeling guilty for not knowing about Oscar."

          "What do you mean?"

          "Well," Shawn starts, taking a deep breath. "She was in the same tent as him, but never chose to check on him. Remember what she said? 'I thought he was just sleeping.' "

          "But it's not her fault though," I reply, shrugging my shoulders. "Isn't she able to detach herself and realize no one is to blame, and that this was all just a freak accident?"

          Shawn stares into my eyes. "I don't know, Jane. I guess she's just having a hard time accepting what's happening—we all are." He wraps his arms around me, pulling me in for a hug.

          "We can't let him die, Shawn." I hide my face in his chest, holding back tears at this point.

          "Don't worry, babe. We're gonna get him the help he needs." He gives me a reassuring kiss on the forehead. "Sooner or later, a boat's gonna pass by. Pierre probably just got a little mixed up, that's all."

          "I hope so, Shawn. I really hope so." I hold him like a little girl with her favourite teddy bear. This is straight-up mortifying.

          We stand together, embracing one another for a couple of moments, the soft wind from the ocean blowing through our hair.