Chapter Ten

It's just Christina and I left on the beach—my best friend since middle school—at least what remains of her. 

          I've been staring at her for what seems like forever, watching as she continues to bury her face into the sand, hiding from whatever she's trying to escape. I think about all our happy childhood memories. Perhaps she feels bad about all those fun times we went ding dong ditching my neighbour, Mr. Edwards. God, he was such a grumpy old man, and would give the most priceless reactions as we spied on him in the bushes across the street after ringing his doorbell over and over.

          I miss those days with Christina. The days where we'd go shopping for hours on end, trying on new clothes. The days where we'd stay up all night, gossiping over boys. And the days where we'd party like there's no tomorrow, drinking until we passed out. I'm starting to feel so hopeless. Even though we've only been here on the island for two days, I can feel the despair flowing through my veins, spreading like a virus. It's as if I'm never going to experience memories with Christina like that again—or anyone for that matter. Am I truly going crazy here? I really don't know anymore. Regardless, I have to try talking to Christina.

          But there's something else I want to address first. There, upon the ridge where Shawn climbed earlier, is a shiny, flashing light hidden between some rocks. At first, I asked myself if this was just another hallucination inside my head, like the whole oil tanker ship incident (which I'm still completely baffled and terrified by). But unlike the ship passing, this flashing light has yet to disappear, and continues to play psychological games with my consciousness.

         Nonetheless, Shawn may have fooled me once, but he won't fool me twice. After my last couple of encounters with him, I think it's fair to say he's not, and was never, the man I figured he was. They say one's true colours are revealed in states of vulnerability, and Shawn didn't disappoint. It breaks my heart knowing I gave so much love and devotion to someone, who, in the end, turned their back on me. I don't care how sorry he is, or how many apologies he offers. When he returns back to the beach, I'm standing my ground, and no forgiveness will be given or shown.

          He is, quite literally, the ONLY reason I'm not searching every nook and cranny of this damn island for my brother. I legitimately feel that my safety is at risk around Shawn, and for me to venture back into the jungle alone with him could turn out to be very deadly. His behaviour is so fucking unpredictable. All I can do is continue to cross my fingers, and pray that Oscar is somehow still drawing breath.

           Regardless, I start to make my way down to the east point of the beach to explore the ridge, leaving Christina behind in the sand for the time being.

          As I walk, I begin to notice that my eyes, for whatever reason, are feeling a little bit sensitive. Not thinking much of it, I push the thought away, and keep going towards the shining light on top of the mountainside. I wonder what it could possibly be. It's been up there ever since Shawn took off and disappeared into the jungle.

          Once I eventually reach the base of the ridge, I start to carefully climb up the small trail behind that leads to the peak. It's much steeper than I originally anticipated, and I even reconsider if I should go up there at all. Though my fearful curiosity seems to outweigh my intuition once again, and I continue my way up. I feel a burning sensation inside my quads and calves, as if I'm getting a good workout at the gym. My breathing becomes rather shallow and heavy while I make a final push.

          I stop and take a break as I reach the top, placing my hands behind my head, feeling a few droplets of sweat trickle down my back. Even though I'm going through hell and back with my emotions, I can't deny that it's a very beautiful view of the tropical island up here.