Chapter Four: When the Lion Goes for the Kill

Matteo

Matteo

The low chill that blanked the heated rays of the seven a.m sun as I ran was more than welcomed over my heated body. I was running around the long trail that curved through the extensive length of my family's compound estate. Although I had my own house on and off the confines of the compound, after last night my mother demanded that I stayed with the family at the main house where we were raised. I didn't want to, and I easily could've left. I wasn't a child. However, I couldn't deny the affect of my mothers request and the way her concern would always influence me. In the end,  I understood her reasoning for me to stay considering that I completely trashed the smaller living room. The glass coffee table that anchored the small living room had found itself flung into the wall, shattered amongst other things as soon as I got off the phone with Kashera.

Kashera.

She was the main reason I flipped my shit. I could deal with people threatening me. Nobody was actually bold enough to do it to my face, and if they did they ended up dead or wishing for death. I was damn near untouchable. Hell, I was damn near God himself (more so his hellish antithesis but still).  However, the restraint I had when people threatened me didn't apply in the slightest when it came to those I cared about. As a grown ass man, I could admit with ease that Kashera was now on that list of people. They got on TV, threatened the reputation that she worked damn hard for, and they were counting on her breaking down and pulling out.

Not my bambina, though. She seemed rattled at first, but as soon as I reminded her of the strength and grace that she had, the killer in her took control. She was determined, and a fire burned in her voice. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a turn on. She was strong and if she wasn't sure about anything else, she was sure about her abilities as a lawyer. She was sure about herself and that was something that drew me to her like a moth to the most enticing flame. She was strong and graceful, stern but sweet. She had more to offer than a pretty face, so much more, and she knew her worth. And a woman who knew what she was worth wouldn't stand for anything less than it. It was in that self-assurance Kashera was not about to let even the Atlanta PD try and overstep her.

I was anxious to see her today. As much as I wanted the Kashera from Saturday, I knew that was not who I was going to get. Today was all business ,but despite that I was still in simple wanting to be in her presence. I sped through the last half a mile and went into the house sweating as I ran up the stairs. On my way I bumped into my brother who grabbed my arm to keep balance. He held my arm as he eyed me and then took a breath. His face was stern as he gave me a knowing look. For all of his foolishness, when it came down to business he was a savage of a man. He was brutally honest, he defended his family without question, and he was the best second in command I could've ever been blessed with. He knew when and where to turn the playfulness on and off and now It was off.

"She has this and you know it. I wouldn't have recommended her to you if I so much as thought for a millisecond that she wasn't capable of getting you off. This is her first murder case, but she's dedicated and has a killer mentality when it comes down to it. You heard her on the phone last night. Its like she's another person. That's why you liked her as much as I did. She fools the eye and the PD thought that they could scare her off because of that. What they aren't counting on is the teeth to sharpen and the claws to come out," He said looking me in my eyes. I nodded at him in complete understanding and he nodded back before clapping my shoulder and walking away. I looked at him off the side of my shoulder before I went upstairs to get ready.