Elephants in the Room

Reece's POV

I ran like the wind. I could feel my strength returning, but not as fast as I'd like. I could still feel the bond from Flora's side, which gave me relief and anxiety. Now that I knew where she was, nothing would stop me from killing the bastard that had taken her away from me. I had no plans yet, but I was sure that everything I did would be very, very painful and by then end of it, he would be hurting ten times more than Flora was. Or a hundred.

I wished I could feel her emotions, let her feel mine. Give her some sort of comfort that I was there and I knew what she was going through. I wish I could get into her head and tell her that everything would be okay, and that we would be fine. Nothing would touch us.

I cursed at my short sighted-ness. A member of my own court? It's always a snitch. Always someone unfaithful who brings everything down. I could feel my wolf now, Zuka's anger bubbling with mine as he got stronger with every minute. I could sense that I could shift within moments, as my strength flowed through my veins. Was I too late?

I skipped through the seven floors and raced right through to the roof, my eyes frantically looking for the small room that was the elevator shaft. We'd have never looked for her here. Never. I didn't even want to think about the consequences of using The Command on him. If others found out I would be dethroned for sure, no matter the cause. There were some things you never ever did. Like harming someone's mate. Some rules were absolute. I wondered how the moon goddess would punish me - or if she would show mercy.

But, at the forefront of my mind was my only goal, my sole focus. I needed to get to her before I lost my head completely. Before there was no need for my people to dethrone me because I would kill everything in my sight till someone killed me. A life without Flora, that was blasphemy.

I heard someone scream, the most agonizing scream ever, and my blood turned cold. Followed by a maniacal laughter, that made my insides rage.

"....kill me."

"This is the only thing a Nihl should be allowed to say. Their only wish that I could grant."

I lunged forward, Zuka at the forefront, and red in my eyes. I could see nothing, hear nothing, feel nothing except for the thirst of his blood in my canines. I would shred him apart to pieces. The door broke down like paper and I watched as a gleaming knife plunged into Flora's stomach. She was bleeding all over, her skin had several cuts that didn't seem like they were going to heal anytime soon. He must have given her some silver too. Fucking bastard.

He released the knife and turned around to face me, astonishment and fear taking over his features as his King stood before him. Zuka and I fought internally, with Zuka wanting to rip this guy and me wanting to go help Flora. I lowered my jaw and caught him in the neck before he could even phase to match me. Not that he ever would.

I flung him to the side of the tiny room, my wolf barely fitting inside. I heard his back break but paid no heed as I rushed forward to my mate. Phasing back, looking at her through my tears.

"Flora! OH MY GOD! Flora -wake up!" I gently nudged her, making sure to not touch the knife and make it worse. She was delirious, and barely conscious. "Reee...You came." She said softly, her eyes still shut as she spoke to me.

The knife in her stomach was bleeding less now, but she still wasn't healing fast enough for it to make a difference. Behind me, I heard some movement and turned around to guard Flora from any threats. It was Hank and Sienna, holding down the assailant. They'd followed me up till here and somehow gotten their strength back as well. "Don't kill him!" I ordered, "He. Is. Mine." They nodded at Zuka.

Noori stepped in, her standard briefcase in her hand as she tried to get to Flora. I growled at her, like a pup protecting another. She raised her hands in front of me and spoke very slowly, "Reece...Zuka. She needs medical help. Let me do my job. You've done everything you can here." She spoke, and her words took effect. She handed me some shorts that I put on.