[5] Aftermath

Art by stormy_aozora71 <3

"And that concludes... the events of this case." Shuichi finished.

"N-No... Akamatsu-san did it...?" Gonta sobbed.

"It is a truth I do not wish to accept, but since Saihara-kun has brought everything to light..." Kirumi spoke slowly. "We can at least try to trust the Akamatsu-san we've come to know up till this point..."

"The Akamatsu-san we've come to know...?" Tenko's eyes started to tear up.

"Even if she did commit a crime, what Akamatsu-san has said to us is not a lie. She wanted to protect us, and I firmly believe that to be the truth."

"If that was a lie too, it'd be the last straw for me. I'd have nothing left to believe in." Ryoma added.

"You guys are so nice... Even though I betrayed you all..." Kaede looked down, tears running down her cheeks.

Shuichi yelled out, "No, that's not true Akamatsu-san! You were trying to save all of-"

Kaede cut Shuichi off. "Nice job, Saihara-kun! I didn't expect any less!"

"What...?"

"You were super reliable back there! But you still have a long way to go. You need to be more assertive!" Kaede put her hands behind her back and smiled a bright smile. "If you did that more often, you'd be a pretty cool guy."

Shuichi stared at her dumbfounded. "Why? Why are you smiling like that? Why are you still trying to get me to be brave? Why, Akamatsu-san!? Why are you thinking about everyone but yourself!? If you had just been less selfless, you wouldn't have had to murder..." His voice grew softer and more pained. "Why...? Why do you do that?"

Kaede looked down at the ground, more tears streaming down her face.

"Stop, stop, stop! At least save it for the end of the trial! Sheesh!" Monokuma rudely interrupted.

"Looks like the debates finished, so that means it's voting time!" Monokid said cheerfully.

"Alright, you bastards! Press the button in front of you to cast your votes!" Monophaine continued.

Each student's screen on their podium lit up. After about 30 seconds of waiting, Monokuma giggled.

"Puhuhu... It seems the voting has finished. Now then, let's see the result." A giant T.V screen came down behind Monokuma and Kaede's portrait flashed on the screen as the one with the most votes. "Who'll be chosen as the blackened!? Will you make the right choice or the dreadfully wrong one!?" Then, the screen showed them that the verdict was indeed Kaede.

Monokuma let out a burst of satisfied laughter. "Well, at this point it goes without saying, but you all voted correctly! The blackened who killed Amami Rantarou is the Ultimate Pianist, Akamatsu Kaede!"

"..." Kaede looked at the screen with a small smile. "Good..."

"What do you mean good!? Is this how you want it to end!?" Kaito shouted.

"Not really, but it could have turned out a lot worse. So, this is fine too." Kaede sighed.

"I-It's not fine! This is super horrible! The worst ever!" Tenko cried out.

"Yeah... how did it come to this?" Tsumugi agreed.

"Kaede, what would possess you to do something like this?" Kiibo questioned.

"I can't accept this... Not unless you explain..." Gonta sobbed.

"Yeah... I won't be satisfied unless I hear it from you." Kaito said.