[25] Do or Die

Monokuma cleared his throat, "Ahem! Now then, let's begin with a basic explanation of the class trial! During the trial, you'll present your arguments for who the culprit is, and vote for 'whodunnit.' Vote correctly and only the blackened will be punished. But if you pick the wrong person... I'll punish everyone besides the blackened, and that person will gradu-"

"Graduation is meaningless here... We already know that." Kiibo interrupted. "We don't need your rules anymore! We'll find our own reasons to live! And we'll do whatever it takes to survive!"

"Wow! An actual talking robot!" Monokuma gushed. "I've never seen one of those before!"

"Seriously!?"

"What happened to Ouma?" Maki demanded, eyes glowing red with hatred. "Why isn't he here?"

"Aw, don't make that face, killer." Monokuma looked down sadly. "This case has some unique circumstances."

"Unique circumstances?" Himiko repeated, glaring from under her hat.

"Cuz for this murder, the victim's identity is completely unknown! Given these circumstances... I decided to start off this class trial while the victim is still anonymous! After all, it'd be a shame if I let such a rare opportunity go to waste!"

"Is that possible?" Tsumugi sweated. "I thought everyone had to participate in the class trial."

"Don't worry. The person who's still alive is waiting behind the scenes for their cue. It's all part of the overall production. Anyway, let's get this trial moving!"

"Even if we don't know the culprit or even the victim, Monokuma knows everything so we should be fine!" Ichika smiled brightly.

"..." Monokuma glared at Ichika.

"I don't see how that makes anything fine..." Maki sighed.

"Then... I guess we have no choice but the start the trial under these conditions." Kiibo muttered.

"What's there even to talk about? The blackened is the mastermind, Ouma." Himiko grumbled.

"Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of, too." Tsumugi nodded.

"It's too soon to decide anything for certain." Shuichi countered. "We don't even know if Momota-kun was the victim..."

"How long are you going to say that? The victim is Momota... end of discussion." Maki snapped.

Shuichi just sighed. "But we need to be absolutely sure. If we don't positively identify the victim... The other person will never show themselves, right?"

"Now now, just because Momota-san's sleeve was sticking out doesn't completely solidify the fact that he is the culprit. Unless you have something convincing that will prove that he was the victim, stay silent, alright?" Ichika said cheerfully. "After all, maybe Ouma-san actually isn't the culprit-"

"Shut up! There *is* plenty of proof Momota is the victim." Maki glared at Ichika.

"Why are we even talking about something so obvious? What a pain..." Himiko whined. "The victim has to be Momota."

"Momota-kun was taken prisoner by Ouma-kun, like Aki-san... So he could've killed him whenever he wanted." Tsumugi concluded.

"And the hydraulic press had his clothes inside."

Maki sighed. "Ouma can't be the victim because there's no evidence for it."

"No, that's wrong!" Shuichi cut through Maki's words. "I have evidence that points to Ouma-kun being the victim! I found *this* in that hangar!" He showed the students-