Carter | Falling

Falling

Falling

Carter pedaled fast as he turned off his street and headed towards Mark's.

He knew he was taking a risk going to his house, but he didn't want Mark to think he forgot about him. They had made plans to meet up as soon as Carter's flight landed, but it got delayed in Chicago. Carter tried to call from the airport, but it had gone straight to voicemail, and he didn't want to risk Mark not answering again.

So, he was taking a more direct approach.

Carter was careful not to jostle his bag as he rounded the corner onto Mark's street. He had wrapped the conch shell in six layers of socks, but he still didn't want any chance of it breaking. Carter knew it was perfect the minute he saw it laying on the beach, and had even broken the rules by bringing it back with him. It would be worth it, though; Mark had never seen the ocean before, but at least now he could hear it.

Carter crossed the last few feet to Mark's front yard, then threw his bike down onto the grass. Swinging his bag forward, he rummaged around the contents until his fingers grazed soft cotton. He was careful not to pull out Amber's gift too; hers was special and something he wanted to give her privately.

Using the low light from the street lamps, Carter unwrapped the shell and bounded up the front walk. It was past his curfew, and even though his mom had made an exception, he didn't want to push his luck. Carter climbed the steps and ignored warning bells telling him to turn around. He still wasn't sure how Mark would react to his visit, but Carter was already there.

Besides, the present was totally worth it.

Just as he was about to knock, Carter heard the sound of breaking glass. No neighbors were out, so it must've come from inside Mark's house. Still, it didn't stop Carter from knocking. But shortly after, there was a muted smack.

Then, all Carter heard was screaming.

It sent a cold shiver down his spine. He could tell it was a kid from the high pitched shriek that pierced his eardrums, and it was definitely coming from inside.

"Mark?" Carter called. The screaming only continued. No one seemed to hear him. "Mark, it's Carter!" he shouted, smacking his flat hand against the wood. "Is everything okay?"