Chapter Twenty Three • Hunted

-Jade-

"If you haven't noticed I have done a lot of things that a lot of people don't approve of." William added and they laughed quietly together. Jade a little bit shyer than him.

The time they had spent walking around the gardens, talking, made her a bit more comfortable around him. He had actually listened to her.

"Well... You didn't strike me as the kind person that cares about what others think." She said and smiled at him.

William gave her questioning look.

"When you came to my home, for example." She added and he pressed his lips together. An expression of remorse appeared in his eyes. "Did I say something wrong?" she asked shyly when he took a long time to answer her.

"No." he said. "I..."

"There you are!"

They both looked towards the person that had called out to them.

The King was standing on the steps up to the castle. There was a broad smile on his bearded face.

"Father, can I help you?" William asked patiently, looking up at his father. The older version of the man next to Jade smirked at them.

"It is getting late." He stated. "But the two of you didn't notice for how long you were gone, did you?" Jade threw a sideway glance at William in embarrassment.

"We were just on our way back inside." William answered.

"Very well." His father chuckled and waited for them to ascend the stairs.

William escorted Jade back to the ballroom. There Elizabeth was waiting for her with a smirk that was barely noticeable.

"Good night." Jade said in a low voice to William. She didn't want Elizabeth to hear her.

"Good night, Jade." He answered her and gave her a warm look. Jade let go of his arm and unwillingly walked away with Elizabeth.

. . .

The next morning Jade felt rested and calm. She hated to admit it but talking to William last night had made her more relaxed. He had let her in for once. On their way back to the castle, as they walked up the stairs, Jade had made one more wish. No more guards during daytime. William had not been able to discuss it properly with her before they reached his father. So he had nodded patiently at her. Now it remained to be seen if he would keep that promise.

Elizabeth unlocked the door and went outside to get Jade some breakfast.

When Jade got outside William stood on the other side of the door. Jade exhaled in shock and screamed shortly.

What is he doing here?!

"I'm sorry." He said and turned his eyes to something behind her when he noticed that she was only wearing her robe.

"What are you doing here?" she whispered and crossed her arms in order to cover her breasts.

It was cold and unfortunately it showed in the area concerning her breasts. Her little peaks were erect and she felt her cheeks blossom in embarrassment.

"I... uhm..." William blinked quickly. "I came to give your governess the key." He answered her. His eyes still didn't fall to the area most men would do anything to see on a girl. "I will see you tonight." He said and cleared his throat.

"What are you going to do today?" Jade asked curiously when she remembered what Elizabeth had told her yesterday. "What am I going to do today?" she added.