eight

Trigger warning: mention of rape

A part of me wanted to forget who I am. Forget it all and restart as a straight man. A normal man. Because if we're hated it must be for a good reason right?

But then I looked at him. Sleep was covering him up like a blanket, his head leant on my shoulder from lack of room on the plane. His hair messily falling into his eyes. God, with him I swear it's like everything makes sense.

I was told the flight would be two hours and about thirty minutes. I checked my skinny old watch, and it showed that we would probably be landing in about a few minutes. But I didn't mind. I wouldn't mind if the trip was ten hours long. With max fast asleep on my shoulder, I wouldn't want it to end. He began to stir, and then woke up.

"Good morning sunshine," I said. He laughed and yawned.

"Good morning," he said.

"So what's going to happen when we get there?" I asked, as he never told me.

"We are going to get in a cab, go to a hotel for a night, and then the lady we are buying the house from will be there, and we'll get settled in," he said.

I smiled and nodded. It was crazy to think that we moved so far away. It's for the better though, I know it is.

"Can I have everyone's attention please, I would like for everyone to buckle their seatbelts as we are landing, I repeat everyone please buckle their seat belts as we are landing," a blonde flight attendant said. We hurriedly got out seat belts on and I felt the plane start to go down.

I reached over and grabbed Max's hand. He squeezed mine back and rubbed circles into it. I shut my eyes and tried to pretend as if nothing was happening.

Soon I felt the steep decline come to a haunt, and we were landed.

We got up and grabbed our things and headed out of the plane.

-
We got to the cab and max told the man where we were headed.

"So, where did you guys come from?"the driver asked.

"Barcelona, Spain," I said. He nodded.

"Ahh, I understand. Did you hear about what happened on the news there?" He asked. Suddenly my heart was in my throat.

"No, what happened?" Max asked.

"They are forcing single women to 'turn the gay men straight," he said.

And that's when I saw sweat break from Max's forehead. Meredith.

"Like... rape?" He asked, his knee bouncing up and down.

"I suppose so, anyways, we're here , that'll be $10," the driver said.

I dug a ten dollar bill out of my pocket and handed the wrinkly bill to him.

"Welcome, and have a nice stay," he said. We nodded and ran into the hotel lobby.

Max rang the bell. He still looked nervous about Meredith.

A lady with a brown pony tail came out and smiled.

"Hello, how may I hel-"

"Phone. Can I please use your phone," benji said, cutting her off.

She furrowed he brows.

"Sure," she said, and pointed to where the phone was behind her. He walked behind her and got on the phone.

"So, uh. How may I help you?" She asked me.

"Oh, we have a reservation," I said. She nodded.

"What's the name?" She asked.

"Barron," I said.

"Alright, I see, you guys are room 234," she said. I nodded and grabbed the key from her.  Max hung up the call and looked to me with a worried face. He grabbed our suitcases and we went to the elevator.

I wonder what happened to Meredith. I hope his kids are okay. I thought, trying to silence any worry in my head, as he pressed the button for floor 5.

Original written date: November 5th 2019