Thirteen

We had been formally engaged for about two years. Each day he would ask me the same question.

"When are we getting married baby?"
"Max when are you gonna husband me up"
"Baby, I want to get hitched!"

And each day I'd tell him the same thing.

"As soon as we're allowed too,"
"As soon as I can."

But now, as I'm watching tv, and he's sound in bed. I had the news turned on.

"After the decade long battle for equality in the Netherlands, gay marriage is now legal starting December 30th, of 1974," the lady said.

I couldn't believe my ears.

My baby and I can be married
Really?

I didn't know what to do with myself. I ran up the stairs to our bedroom, and shook Theo awake.

"Baby, baby, wake up," I said, as he began to stir.

"What do you want bitch," he growled, trying to push my hands away from him.

"Theo," I said, and for some reason, that got him knowing it was serious.

"What? What happened?" He said, sitting up and ruffling his hair.

"We can get married," I said, holding his face in my hands.

"Oh shut up- really?" He said, not believing me.

"Yes! December 30th of this year!" I said.

His eyes widened.

"We can get married?" He asked softly. I nodded.

"We can get married!" He said, shooting his arms up in the air and waving them around.

I started jumping and yelling.

"I'm gonna be married! To a man!" He yelled.

"WOOOO!" I screamed, and tackled him onto the bed, tickling him mercifully.

The day we got married I can say was easily the best day of my life.

It was a small ceremony, just my mom dad, and everyone on my side of the family

Just his brother and sister on his side.

But I'll never forget how beautiful he looked.

He decided to go with a tux, but lace white, and a cream colored shirt underneath, which extremely compliments his blonde hair.

Me, I went with a cream suede tux, with a white lace undershirt.

But you could tell he greatly out shone me.

But one of the best things that happened that day, was I got a card.

Now obviously I sent out invitations to everybody. Only three people I invited didn't show up.

That being my kids, and my best friend, meradith.

But I got a card from her.
Theo was currently on the couch of our honey moon suite in Hawaii.

I opened the pale purple letter and read it.

Dear Maximus,
I know years have passed since we've seen each other, or spoken, but I'm over you, and the whole situation at hand.

Actually, I've fallen in love again, which I never really thought would happen to me. But as it turns out, small heart breaks don't mean the end of the world. No, life went on. Tommy and Wendy are 17 and 15 now. Thought I know you didn't need a reminder, as you always sent them gifts and cards, and so did jorge, which I'm eager to see him as well.

But, since life went on, I realized what a horrible, grudge filled person I've been. I've kept you from your kids, which are just as much yours as they are mine. You deserve to see the, and it was wrong of me to deprive them of you, and vise versa.

I'd like to invite Theo and you on New Year's Eve , to celebrate with us. I totally understand if you don't want too, but tommy and Wendy are just aching at the chance to see you. Plus I've got someone I want to introduce you to myself.

It would really mean a lot to me if you came. And I'm very sorry that i couldn't attend your wedding, I for some reason though that getting all of us in the car together and then in a plane would be easier done than said.

But anyway, here's my address if you do decide to come

1506 13th street New York
We'll be partying at 5:00 am, and obviously you'd have to be here before 12:00 am, so we can all watch the ball drop together.

Sincerely, Meredith Barnes.

I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait to see my kids, and the thought filled me to the brim with absolute joy. I quickly showed theo the letter and he was just as excited as I was.

I guess New York City, here we come.

—-
Next chapter is it folks 🥺

Original written date: January 3rd, 2020