Independance

Dawn threw me a graduation party shortly after school ended. I wasn't allowed to invite friends or pick any of the food. Apparently Gabe had invited a few to his and spent too much time hanging out with them, hence the rule. However, I was allowed to invite all of the people I had met at church and had bullied me actively for the duration of it. So that's who I had at my graduation, plus a bunch of grown ups I didn't know or hadn't seen in upwards of ten years.

"Oh! Look at you! You've grown up so much!" Was the most popular statement said.

"What do you want to do now?" Was the second most popular of course.

"Congratulations!" Followed close behind.

It wasn't all for naught, since I came from a rich family many of their friends were also rather wealthy. I got a little over six grand total from the monetary donations. Not to mention a set of monogrammed towels. I couldn't help but think that the party was mainly for Dawn's sake, not mine. She picked all of the food, invited all of the guests. I don't think she even once asked my opinion on anything she did for it. It was nice in a sense, we didn't have any disagreements about what was going to be there, however I was still expected to set up everything based off of her unrealistic vision and I seldom got that right. Eventually she must have figured that it wasn't in my power to bring her ideal party to life, so instead she sent me to go pick up all of the food while Steven watched her bustle around and Gabe slept.

Less I'm here the better. I rolled my eyes as I went to leave. She was already disassembling the simple flower arrangements I'd made and replacing them with a much more gaudy interpretation. Party starts at three and it's already two thirty, guess I'll be missing a chunk of the party, oh well. I shrugged, slipping on my shoes. "Money?"

"Oh yeah, one second." Dawn disappeared around the corner to a hidden stash she had in the house. "One, two, three..." She trailed off counting the twenties. "Wait? ... What? One, two, three... I thought I had more than that here. Did you take sixty out?" She hollered for whoever was listening.

"No." I replied walking up behind.

"Huh. That's odd." She recounted again. "Ok, whatever, here." She handed it to me with a sour look on her face.

I did see Gabe over there recently, but that's none of my business. I remembered as I slid out the door and into my car.

At the first stop I got chafing trays and some potatoes, then bread sticks, pulled pork, salad, and finally I made the executive decision to get some hummus from my work with the remaining dough. I'll be damned if I don't get at least one thing I like there. Checking the clock it was just passed three-thirty. People have definitely arrived by now, oh well, it's Dawn's party anyway right. Has she been texting me? I checked and found a number of unread messages asking where I was and what I was doing. What you asked me to. I bounced my eyebrows. Just start introducing one of the neighbor kids or something as me. No one would know the difference. I joked as I stuffed the phone away leaving the texts unanswered.

Eventually I made it back home and was met with a distasteful glare as I brought in the surprise addition.

"What's this?" Dawn exclaimed as quietly as she could so as to not attract attention.

"I got some hummus too!" I smiled. Because if I had asked you would have said no. My grad party my rules.

"Fine, just, put it over there." Dawn was obviously upset.

"I already have an idea where I can put it." I brushed past her with it and placed it senically around the other food. "There, perfect." I rushed back out before she could object and brought in the other trays.