Ch.12

Tick-tock...tick-tock...

Brett tried to bury himself in the ticking sound of his clock, hoping to drift off soon while trying all the sleep positions he could.

But his ticking clock only seemed to continually grow louder and, in Brett's head, resemble the boring four chords that were overused by mainstream pop music, which did not help with his insomnia at all.

Well, he knew someone that would probably recognize the correct notes of his clock ticking in less than a minute though.   

Brett eventually gave up, reached to the nightstand for his glasses, and checked his phone. 

Great, it's almost 3 am and I am awake as fuck. He cursed in his head, half lying in his bed and absently scrolling down his text.

Brett still could not believe that he did it

By it he meant a lot of things, such as sneaking into his hight school at night, decorating the stage with silly candles (suggested by his sister who apparently was more experienced in dating), and playing a piece in a way that he would never dare to try in an audition.

And by it, he meant that he was sweating and shaking like he was going to a Menuhin Competition while waiting for his date (who was fashionably late for twenty minutes, no surprise), convincing his date to be blindfolded, and casually holding his date's hand like he did not practice it in his head for a million times. Absolutely not. 

And by it, he meant that he put on his suit for the first time outside rehearsal and competitions, felt butterflies in his stomach flapping their wings as fast as his heartbeat, forgot to breathe when his date smiled at him, and appreciated his date's beautiful rosy cheeks when he smiled back.

Brett slowly traced his lips with a finger and thought of the kiss, or the kisses, that he was either brave enough or too impulsive to place on his date's lips. Eddy's lips were warm and soft, and Brett did not know how to suppress his desire of tasting them again and again.

He still could not believe that he actually took his best friend out for a date. Mission complete. 

And this was probably why he was still up at 3 am. He could not stop his mind from wandering to every second of their first date, Eddy's adorable face while enjoying his music, his warm eyes filled with surprise and joy, and those lips...Brett could never forget the taste.

He stared at his phone screen, or more precisely, the countless text that he had exchanged with Eddy. And this might be the initial moment that Brett realized, maybe, just maybe, he have a huge crush on his best friend. 

***

3:15 am AEST 

Eddy could not sleep. At all. 

He might be more able to fall asleep if today could just be one of those usual Saturdays that all he did was staying home and playing video games. 

But no, he went on a date instead. A romantic date. His first date with his best friend. Also his very first date ever. So the first first-date. Probably the most unusual Saturday that he haven't had in a while. 

"I think that was only because I was playing for you."

Brett's voice was repeated in Eddy's head like how he would repeat his favorite tracks on Spotify. Eddy knew that Brett was a little more serious that night so when he said it, he meant it. 

Sometimes he was so genuine that Eddy's poor heart just could not handle it. 

He shook his head. God, how could he just say those words out loud with that damn cute smile? And his soft voice...this is so freaking illegal!  

Eddy turned to the other side of his bed, letting out a long sigh while recalling their conversation in the park. 

"I will always remember you, too. Eddy." 

"You don't understand how lucky I feel about having you as my best friend. You are very important to me...you know?"

To be honest, Eddy felt touched and...bittersweet. 

Of course he had no complaints about the date, Brett, and everything Brett had done for him...but all these were just too good for him, which was a real problem.

From Eddy's perspective, Brett is such a wonderful person with a beautiful soul. And he deserves someone that is as good as him. And Eddy would never consider himself qualified. He wouldn't even dare. 

But Eddy could not lie to himself that Brett holds a very special place in his heart. And Eddy felt astonished at Brett's plan for their first date while he kept doubting 'how can I be so lucky' and 'is this even real.'

So what was this about? Are we still friends? Are we not friends anymore? Going on a date does not mean that you are dating someone, or does it? Can you be someone's best friend and also be his boyfr–

Say whattt? Eddy buried his head under his blanket and immediately regretted as he could still smell Brett from his blanket, which was not very helpful for clearing his mind. 

Oh my god, am I like dreaming like, uh, being in a relationship or something just after, uh, like one date? Like the first date? Oh my god, do you want to date your best friend or something? You need to calm down! Eddy Chen!

Eddy shook his head again and cocooned himself in his blanket even tighter. 

Brett will be gone next year to go to college. He wished that they were at the same age so they could spend one more year together, and maybe apply to the same music uni together. 

Hopefully Brett can get in to his top choice since his mom finally gave in. Eddy knew that Brett had mentioned the Queensland Conservatorium a few times since that was also where Mrs. Brownstone went for uni.

Will they keep in touch after being apart? Will Brett still be texting him all those dad jokes and classical music memes even when he gets busy with practice? Will Brett answer the phone if he calls him?

Will Brett even remember him after he makes new, cooler friends in college?

Eddy sighed. He was too scared to imagine his next school year without Brett, and too confused to name his feeling around him. Thinking of Brett brought him both pleasure and headaches and Eddy did not really know what he or Brett wants. 

Eddy only knew one thing – caring about someone makes people vulnerable. But sometimes you just don't have a choice. 

For the first time in his life, he wished that he was the younger, 'anti-social' Eddy that did not care about anyone. Because the more he cares, the more vulnerable he becomes.  

And Eddy had not realized that he did fall hard for Brett. 

With all his heart.

TBC.