15: Happy Birthday

She was covered in flour, looking like a baking mishap. She looked embarrassed as I picked up the pans, keeping my distance as she cleaned herself up and she brushed her hair back in embarrassment. Cutest thing I've ever seen. She smiled lightly at me as I began to forget why she would destroy me.

"I can c-clean up it's fine", she stuttered as I looked back at her, giving her the look of a lifetime. She shyly took the rag and gently pushed me away.

"No really it's okay", I insisted as I grabbed another rag and cleaned the floor. I thought of making conversation with her, but what was the point her and i could never be.

Natalies POV

He was helping. After leaving me stranded after a single question and waking me up with a slam that made me jump, he was helping. I swear one moment he was sweet and the next he didn't want a single thing to do with me.

He took a new rag and wiped the floor and I washed up the dishes quickly putting them away. I just wanted him to leave me alone especially tomorrow.

"So what were you making anyways?", he asked as I feared telling him about my birthday. Tomorrow was my birthday, a day where I would make myself cake the night before. My mom and I would make cakes late at night, and watch our favorite movies and eat until our stomachs were going to explode.

"It's nothing", I brushed the memory away and held onto my sacred locket.

"goodnight Natalie", he took off and I looked back at him as he rushed up the stairs holding his laptop in his hands. Workaholic.

2 hours later
Cups and cups of flour later, song after song of jamming music I had finally finished my cake, a beautiful masterpiece even to the edge of which I had frosted and put two candles on my cake. One for me to blow out and one for my mom. Her birthday was a day after my birthday, we were truly sisters and best friends. I always told her I couldn't imagine my life without her, but I could it just was a life I didn't want to be apart of.

She would be ashamed of me, sitting alone blowing out my birthday candle. I took out my phone as I hit play on my favorite video that I would listen to over and over. Her beautiful voice echoed through the screen reminding me of her wonderful ways her wondrous voice, she truly was an angel, that I wished had stayed.

I wiped my tears away as I listened to the recording over and over again making sure I could hear it and that I would always remember her, forever and always.

"Happy Birthday, Natty", a nickname she had created and that I loved and cherished. My stomach was in a knot and I decided to let go and sobbed and sobbed on my cake as I felt a light turn on above me and I took off running. I grabbed my cake and ran away as fast as I could.

"NATALIE", he yelled after me as I ran into the storming rain, my cake fell apart as I let it and quickly ran as fast as I could. I knew the directions by my heart, it calmed me knowing where my mother was and how I could always be there with her. Even when she was dead I grew attached to her more and more. I had so many questions I wanted to ask her all unanswered and no one to answer them. I walked for hours letting the cake fall apart, as I finally reached the cemetery. I found her grave as I sat down and weeped, I screamed and cried and begged for her to come back. I grabbed my wet phone as I played her recording over and over again and cut her a piece of cake. I slowly broke down as I cried myself to sleep holding my locket tight in my fingers.

Nolan's POV
"NATALIE", I yelled and chased after her. She left out the door running with a fully frosted cake. Was she leaving me? She dashed down the street as I followed seeing how she slowly gave out of breath and eased into a walking but running pace. I followed keeping my distance making sure wherever she needed to go she got there safely.

I tried to not let her know I was there, but to her it really didn't matter her surroundings didn't matter to her. She was on a mission and kept counting on her fingers and pointing almost like she was remembering directions. She did sharp turns and this went on for hours, I was surprised by the way she didn't get tired she was fully alive. We finally reached a destination, a cemetery and she stopped for a while as I saw her wipe a tear away and slowly make her way towards the grave.

I watched as she walked up to a grave and just slumped down and I could hear her cries of despair and pain. I wanted to comfort her, but I knew I was the last person she wanted to see. The cake in her hand had been broken down because of the rain, but she took a handful and placed it on the grave as she gave it a light kiss and leaned up against the headstone.

She had fallen asleep, I got closer as I saw she looked comfortable in the midst of all the graves surrounding her she felt safe, but it was because of whomever's grave that is. I  grabbed my phone and took a picture of the headstone, and then I called our driver to the cemetery. She could stay as long as she needed as long as she knew that she could have a safe recovery back to me.