Late Night Deliveries

We're finally seated at the dinner table. After surprisingly long 20 minutes, we moved to the dining room.

It was beginning to be hard not to run upstairs and call Lilly. Also I was really trying not to finish those chicken-avocado roll ups on my own.

We have a brown mahogany table with six chairs. Mom is sitting at the head of the table with Mrs. Wilder and Angie, Mason's younger sister, sitting on the same side. Mason and his brother, Oliver, are sitting opposite them. That leaves me sitting opposite to mom and adjacent to Mason.

He still hasn't said a single word to me and if not for the few glances he's given me, I'd think I was really invisible.

"You know my niece left for Australia today. May here isn't really a good driver so she'll have to start taking the bus all the time."

I look up when I hear my name. I wasn't paying much attention and now I'm asking myself what they're on about.

"Oh, well I have an idea." Mrs. Wilder beams and takes a sip of her wine. "Mason can take her."

Mason and I shoot our heads up in shock. That is not a good idea.

"Mom, won't I be getting my ride back soon? I don't think Mrs. Banks would be very fond of me giving her daughter a ride then." That's the longest Mason has spoken tonight.

"Don't be silly," his mom laughs, "you're not getting it back anytime."

His eyes widen but he doesn't say anything. He sits back in his chair, looking glum and staring down at his plate with irritation.

"That's okay with you right, Maya?" Mrs. Wilder asks.

She has her ear reaching smile on and everyone is staring at me. I look at Mason and his eyes seem to plead with me to refuse. I feel a bit of irritation. It's not like I'm the worst person to be in a car with.

Gosh!

Our moms are looking at me with anticipation and hope. As if Mason and I going to school together is the only hope left to save the world.

"It's no problem." I say to Mrs. Wilder with a smile. "I don't mind."

I look down at my food and whirl my fork around the spaghetti and everyone returns to their eating. I can feel Mason's gaze burning through my scalp but I refuse to look up at him.

He can calm down. I'm not really going to go to school with him. I only agreed to appease our parents.

There's a whole list of why I can't. I've noticed that he's usually late while I am always early. He sometimes drives with his friends and I don't want to find myself in that mix. Also, I can barely stand the guy.

"Oh, Mason," Mrs. Wilder speaks," I remember you told me you had to help someone who's going to participate in the athletics. I hope it won't make you unable to give Maya a lift after school."

"Actually, mom," a smirk appears on Mason's face. He looks at his mom then turns to me, "It won't be a problem at all."

"Who's he helping out?" Mom asks.

"One of his classmates who's struggling in PE."

"That's lovely, Maya's also struggling. Maybe you should join them, sweetie." Mom turns to me with a smile.

It's not like I have a choice. I am the person in question.

"Well, mom, Mason's helping me. I'm the classmate struggling in PE."

"That's great!" Mom exclaims and continues to speak but I don't pay attention.

My eyes move to Mason and find that he's also looking at me. I look away and continue eating my food. Apart from Mrs. Wilder being such a ray of sunshine and Angie's adorable face, this evening has sucked for me.

On the same evening that Lilly has left and during the rare occasion that my mom's home, we had to have guests.

"My brother's really strong." I look down at the little girl to my right. "He'll help you win the race. He always helps me out with school and I always get a gold star."

She is so adorable.

"Really?" A smile appears on my face.

"Uh huh," she nods, her jade green eyes lighting up. "He's the best."

My smile grows and I glance at Mason. His attention is now diverted to finishing his food. I notice then that both his siblings have their mother's eyes, green and his are the only blue-grey.

He must have his father's eyes.

***

Mason's POV

Max is on the phone with his mom, assuring her that we'll be back before 10pm. He's looking out the window as we drive past houses, approaching abandoned buildings and empty lots.

With his attention on his phone, it gives me the opportunity to think. To think about this evening.

As much as I don't like these dinners we keep getting invited to by our new neighbours, it makes me happy to see my mom interacting with other people. She dedicates every single second of her life to her kids and work and doesn't pay much attention to her own life.

She seemed to really like Mrs. Banks. Usually she forces a smile the entire evening and we leave before even finishing our meals. Tonight she stayed longer even after we had finished eating.

Also, seeing Maya in her home, reminded me that I have to make sure this exchange goes well. Nothing must go wrong because I can't involve her in any of this.

"This is the place, man." Max points to a small, wrecked yellow building in the near distance.

He puts his phone in his front jean pocket and grabs the small black bag at his feet. I park the car in front of the building.

"Stay in here, I'll be back." I say to Max and take the bag from him.

This is what we usually do. One of us goes out and the other stays inside. If anything happens the one in the car can call for backup.

Nothing has ever happened and back up was never needed. We always travel together, just the two of us. We've learned to trust no one but ourselves and each other.

"Wilder!" A voice calls from the darkness as a tall figure makes its way out of the building.

"Trevor?" My jaw tightens. "Since when do you work on the streets?"

"I don't." He smirks. "I'm just here to make sure you don't try anything funny."

"I won't." I throw the bag at him and he catches it. "I got the message loud and clear."

"That's good to hear. I knew the little visuals I provided The man with would be of great use."

Of course it was him. That flash I saw!

He opens the bag and searches through it before looking up at me. His smirk grows and he nods.

He doesn't say anything else, just turns around and goes back into the darkness.

I do the same and go back to the car.

"What did he want?" Max asks.

"He just wanted to make sure I don't do anything wrong."

I turn the key in the ignition and drive off.

I never know what I'm going to deliver. I'm not allowed to open the packages. I broke that rule once and it didn't end well for me.

I'm so sorry I haven't updated per schedule, I've just been busy with some things.

Are you guys enjoying the story? I have so many things planned for it and so many surprises in store☺.