Dreams & Binge Watching

Mason's POV

She throws her head back and laughs and I can't help but smile. The bracelets around her wrist shake as she throws her hands in the air and dances. She's exactly as I remember. Carefree, happy, fully of life.

She seems older, taller than the last time I saw her.

I don't say anything to her, I just watch. She turns around and her eyes meet mine. Her smile widens and I take a step forward. She shakes her head before waving at me. I notice that she's waving goodbye as she continues to dance only this time, away from me.

"Emma." I reach out my hand but she shakes her head once more.

Just like that, in that very second, her image fades away. It's as if she wasn't just standing a few feet from me, dancing in her favourite combat boots.

I hear another sound, a laugh. One I'm so used to, one that makes me smile and want to laugh as well. I turn around and her long chestnut hair, blowing in the wind is the first thing I notice. She has her back to me but I'd recognise her in a crowd.

As if feeling my gaze, she turns around. She smiles shyly and looks down, fiddling with the hair tie on her wrist.

"I'm sorry." She whispers the words and I frown.

My eyes shoot open, as if I've just awoken from a bad dream. I attempt to get up but stop when I notice her.

Maya. She's right here. Not in a dream but sleeping peacefully on my chest.

I smile at the sight. Her arm is placed on my chest, slightly blocking part of her face. My arms tighten around her and she shifts, her head moving closer to my face. She smells like lavender.

Must be her shampoo.

I throw my head back, resting it on the arm of the couch. Memories of last night come flooding back. I feel a great sense of relief, knowing I told Maya the truth.

An image of Emma, the Emma I saw in my dream, appears in my mind. I close my eyes, recalling her laugh.

That's all I've ever allowed myself to hear and see. Her cheerful laughter and beautiful smile.

I never allow myself to hear her shriek mixed with the deafening sounds of a bullet, rushing through the air and into her head. I never allow myself to see her eyes, wide open, with blood trailing down her face.

Years of therapy have given me the ability to trick my mind. To close off those images. I was told to not live in denial, to see those images again. They said that it would help but I was so afraid it would drive me crazy.

I walk around with guilt. To this day, Emma's family believes she died because of her cousin's dealing. Her parents hold a grudge against a dead man. It's always easier to blame those who can't defend themselves.

I know who it was and why they did it. I know it was my fault; I invited Emma into this life and I accepted her help when she offered it.

I don't even listen to music anymore because somehow every song reminds me of her. She had a weird taste in music, listening to every song that came on the radio. Every song was her song. I think that I deserve the silence, to let my thoughts torture me.

Maya shifts again and my attention returns to her.

Right now, I have to protect her. My family should be safe from The Man's claws.

What is his deal with teens?

My phone starts ringing in my pocket. Maya's eyelids flutter as she slowly opens her eyes. She lifts her head off my chest and I slide my phone out of my front pocket.