Uninvited Guests and Brunch Dates

Maya's POV

We all freeze in our spots, staring at the light entering the house through the curtain. My heartbeat quickens and I gulp.

"Ar...are you...are you expecting any one?" I stutter.

"No." Max whispers, shaking his head.

The realisation that an intruder is only a few feet away sinks in. I move my eyes around and they land on the lamp in the corner. I rush to it, next to the door and grab it. It no longer works so no one will miss it if it breaks.

"Banks!" Mason hisses. "What are you doing?"

He stares, alarmed by my position next to the door. My arms are high above my head, the lamp secured between my shaking fingers. I don't even know what I'm going to do with this, if I'll be able to use it but I hope I'm not dying tonight.

"Ey, you're onto something." Max says as he stands up. He rushes to the kitchen and returns with a mop and a broom.

He hands the broom to Mason, who reluctantly takes it.

"Banks, switch with me. You'll be closer to our uninvited guest and what if you startle them and they hurt you." Mason pleads.

"The aim is to startle them and knock them unconscious. What if he has a gun and starts shooting the moment the door opens? I'll be safer."

Okay I'm not sure if that's true.

The lights go off and a second later we hear a car door closing, followed by another.

There are two of them?

I gulp and Mason's fear seems to increase when he meets my gaze.

There's silence for a while then we hear footsteps as the people approach the door. At this rate my heart might jump out from my thoracic cavity.

Mason and Max take this opportunity to move closer to the door. As I stare at our weapons, made up of old appliances and cleaning material, I realise we have way less chances of making it out of this place alive.

I hope Shelly and Bianca remember to play The Beach Boys at my funeral.

The footsteps come to a halt and a few seconds later, the room is filled with Mason's ringtone. We all panic as he rushes to grab his phone on the couch and groans. He moves his thumb across the screen and throws the phone back on the couch.

He mouths Justin's name to a confused Max and we both nod.

"Let's knock." A familiar voice says outside.

That sounds like...

I throw my head back, resting it against the wall and let out the breath I've been holding. I drop my hands, still holding on to the lamp.

"Justin? Justin is that you?" I call out.

There's a second of silence before I hear the familiar voice once more.

"Maya? Thank God, man, I thought we were lost and all-"

He stops talking when the door flies open and an exasperated Mason stands in front of him.

"Mason, dude." Justin engulfs him in a hug.

Behind him, Nathan enters the house.

Their eyes drop to the weapons in our hands and Justin frowns.

"Did we scare you?" Nathan chuckles.

"Yes, you dolt." I spit out the words.

He continues to laugh and I roll my eyes and sit on the recliner.