Chapter 15

December 22nd

"What has you smiling like that, Katherine?" Annalise asked teasingly. "Or who, I believe is the correct term, is it not?"

As the memories from the night before ran through her head, Katherine couldn't help but blush. The night she had with Elijah had been amazing. She wouldn't have changed a minute of it. She had stayed with him for most of the night, he made sure to wake her early enough for her to sneak back into her own bed. The risk of someone finding out about them was high and they knew it. After he had made love to her, more than once, he held her and they...talked. Talked about anything and everything. Well, except about his upcoming wedding. Katherine knew that she couldn't keep Elijah. She knew that, come Christmas, they would have to stop whatever this was between them.

Katherine wasn't sure if she would be able to even keep her job after. The thought of seeing Elijah with Lady Elizabeth caused her heart to ache. She would see his quarters every day and she knew she couldn't bear looking at his bed knowing he was in it with another. What am I going to do?

She thought about her mother and her sisters and guilt filled her. She received a letter from her mother just this morning.

My Dearest Katherine,

I hope that you are well and enjoying your time working at
the Kent Estate. How was the ride over there? I hope you didn't f
all prey to any trouble. Your sisters are hoping to find a maid position
in town as well. It appears you set a high standard for them. I miss
you, Katherine, more than anything. It is hard to be away from you,
but know that I am so proud of you. Have you met the Duke yet?
If so, please tell us what he is like. Your sisters are quite the gossipers.

What could she say to that? Yes, mother, I have met the duke. He saved my life from highwaymen and we ended up alone in a cabin for two days. Then I shared my body with him. Married? No, I can't marry him because he's promised to another woman. Yeah that would go over well with her family.

Even though everything she said was true, she didn't regret any of it. She knew that she would never feel the same way about another man. That was the reason she decided be with Elijah last night.

"Katherine? Are you alright?" Annalise had a worried expression on her face.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I just have...a lot on my mind today."

"I can see that. If you ever need to talk, know that I am here." Annalise walked over to her with a warm smile. "I know a lot of people can't seem to keep secrets here, but believe me when I say you can trust me."

"Thank you, Annalise," Katherine said and meant it. She was thankful for the offer, but she couldn't tell anyone about what happened between her and Elijah.

"Well, Katherine, we must get started," Annalise said in a tired voice as she left the drawing room they were currently cleaning.

"Started on what?" Katherine followed after her until they got to the dining room. Laid out on the table was wedding decorations.

How am I going to do this? She thought.