Chapter 17

Elijah froze when he saw Katherine in the dining room. He could tell by her expression that she was upset. She thought that something was going on between him and Lady Elizabeth. That's the only thing it could be.

Elijah took a step toward her and she took off in the other direction. If he ran after her, it could draw attention. But then again, they only had a short time together before Christmas Day. If his plan didn't work out, this was all they had. He refused to accept that she would hide out in her chambers. She belonged in his bed, snuggled beside him.

He quickly started walking in the direction of the maid's chambers. Deciding to take a shortcut, he went down the main hallway, hoping to cut her off.

He stopped when he got to the staircase. He leaned back against the far was as he heard her footsteps. When she got closer he reached his arm out, catching her and pulling her against him.

She gasped in surprise and tried to catch her breath.

"Let me go, Elijah."

Her voice told him just how hurt she way. "Kitten, listen to me and listen good. There is nothing going on with Lady Elizabeth. She-"

"Elijah?" His mother called.

Elijah met Katherine's gaze and stroked her cheek. Trying to not be overheard, he leaned down to whisper in her ear. "Please, Kitten, trust me. Meet me tonight in my chambers. I will explain everything to you."

"Elijah!" His mother called again.

Elijah pulled back from Katherine and traced her bottom lip with his thump. "I love you," he said before he came out of hiding.

"There you are," The Duchess said with a frown. "What were you doing?"

"Sorry, mother. I didn't hear you."

She walked over to him, clearly suspicious by his actions. "What were you doing, Elijah?"

"Nothing, I just thought I...saw something." Nice work, Elijah.

She raised an eyebrow at him. She knew he was lying. This is going to be an issue later when she brought it up to him again.

"Let's go, Elijah. Dinner is about to start."

Elijah glanced back to where Katherine had been standing before he followed his mother.

He just prayed she would trust him and come to his quarters tonight.

"I want to thank you all for a lovely evening and a wonderful dinner," Lady Elizabeth stated as she rose from her chair

"I want to thank you all for a lovely evening and a wonderful dinner," Lady Elizabeth stated as she rose from her chair. "I've had a trying day and would like to get some rest."

William usually hated coming to these dinners. He never liked the fancy formalities. Perhaps if the dinners had been more like tonight, he would have felt differently. Lady Elizabeth sat across from him and has been sending him lustful glances the entire evening. The longing looks and sultry smiles were going to drive him mad.