Chapter 16

William knew he shouldn't be kissing Elizabeth. He should be doing anything besides kissing Elizabeth. But when she looked up at him with all that emotion in her eyes, and begged him for the truth, he couldn't restrain himself.

He moved his hands to her waist and pulled her body against his. She gasped in surprise and he took the opportunity to slid his tongue inside her warm mouth. He felt her hands on his shoulders before she wrapped them around his neck.

When William deepened the kiss, she moaned into his mouth. God, that sound...He never realized he had been waiting his whole life to hear that. From her.

His body started to respond to her, his pants growing tight. He knew she felt it too when she pulled away with a surprised expression.

She took a step back and put her hand to her lips. She had an odd expression on her face and it worried him.

"I feel I should apologize for that...but, Elizabeth, I am not sorry."

When she dropped her hand and stepped closer to him, his voice got deeper when he said, "Don't."

She paused with a frown. "Why not?"

Overwhelmed with desire for her, he couldn't find words to speak. If she came any closer, he was going to be tempted to do more than just kiss her.

"William, please. Tell me what your thinking."

"I can't," he managed to say. He would probably scare her with his wicked thoughts.

She took another step towards him and reached out to stroke his face. He didn't move this time, surprisingly.

"Elizabeth, I--"

"Well, this looks...interesting."

Elijah crossed his arms over his chest as he took in the sight in front of him

Elijah crossed his arms over his chest as he took in the sight in front of him. He wasn't surprised to find William and Lady Elizabeth kissing. Well, it was out of character for William. Especially since she was engaged to Elijah. Elijah knew if he were engaged to Katherine, William wouldn't even look at her.

When they turned and saw him there, Elizabeth stepped away from William and looked down at her feet. Elijah knew she felt ashamed and embarrassed.

William's expression told Elijah that he was feeling guilty about the act.

"How did you find us?" William asked when Elijah walked up to him, meeting his gaze.

"How many times have you run off on me growing up, William? You still can't hide from me."

Elijah looked to Elizabeth who still wouldn't meet his gaze. "Lady Elizabeth, may I speak to William privately for a moment?"

"Of course, Your Grace," she said as she stepped away from them.

Elijah looked to his best friend and wanted to put his mind at ease. "William, my friend, I believe we found ourselves in a bit of a predicament."