1

Rough hands jerked me from my sleep.

      "Where is it? Boy you better tell me where it is right now!"

     A feeling of weightlessness took over before a sickening thud as my body connected with wall and rolled down to meet the rotten floorboards. A small groan escaped my lips as I peeked my head up just enough to see the figure above me.

     It was early with little light finding its way into the room, but I knew who the man was with no doubt.

     "I... I don't know w-what your talking about." My voice came out meek and small. I hated the way I sounded when I talked to him but could never change it.

     "You stole my wallet! Give it back you little thief!"

     I managed to struggle to my hands and knees as my lungs screamed for air and my ribs tightened in my chest.

     "I didn't. Please Mi-" my plead earned me a swift quick to the ribs where I again went sprawling to the wall.

     "Michael what's going on? It's early." Mom's voice was soft and feathery, coming from her bedroom down the hall. I had long ago given up hope for her heroic rescue. Usually Michael would just tell her to go back to sleep.

     "The little thief stole my wallet!"

     "Boys!"

     Today was not a usual day.

The lights burst on as Mom came in. She stood by the door in a flowered robe her golden hair pulled back in a messy bun. Even in the morning she looked as beautiful as ever. Which was why I never knew why she settled for Michael.

      My stepfather stood over me. He was tall and muscular with a nasty temper. Dark black hair gelled back, his signature leather jacket around him at all times. Behind him sat my splintered bed and torn sheets. Clothes littered the floor and a small lamp rested alone in the corner.

     Mom's face gave away nothing, her honeyed eyes distant, as she took in the scene. I silently wished that just once she would look horrified or worried for her only son. But I guess one small miracle at a time. She was standing up for me. I think.

     "What have you done now?" The
disappointment in her voice creeped its way to my heart and I felt the shame rising in me. But it didn't last for long as shame turned to anger. I'd done nothing wrong!

     "He took my wallet! Why do I have to keep repeating myself? He needs to learn his lesson. Right. Now."

     Mom held up her hand and gave me a long glare.

      "Boys! Enough. Really Jake I don't know what to do with you anymore," a long sigh. She turned to Michael. "You two really need to learn to get along, it's been years and you two still can't have a decent conversation! Jake has school in a few hours, by the time he leaves this house I should expect the wallet back, now give me some sleep!" We both stared in disbelief. She'd never interrupted before. Usually just told us to take it outside or something cringy and stupid like that. Mom walked back down the hall and after a short pause Michael followed leaving a swift kick to the ribs as a parting gift.

     "Love you too!" It would probably cost me later but I couldn't keep from calling after him.
I sprawled on the floor catching my breath for a time before struggling to my feet. I had no way of knowing the time as my room had no clock. Who needs an alarm when you have a temperamental stepfather. My real father died when I was a baby but in times like now I found myself daydreaming about what he would have been like. Anything's better than Micheal right?

     I moved down the hall, painted a light blue. Pictures lined the hall. Mom, Michael, and a smaller version of them both. Blond hair with a sharp jaw and piercing green eyes. Emily.
I continued around the house searching for the wallet. I knew it was pointless, for all I knew Michael the wallet could be halfway across the world.

     Eventually I gave up and went to shower and get ready. I studied myself in the mirror finding traces of Mom and... Dad? I never had a photo and Mom barely spoke to me anymore, let alone talked about him. That left me with trying to make my own picture.

     Opening the cabinet I withdrew a small piece of white paper. The creases were starting to fall apart and stains from throughout the years littered the page. Gingerly I smoothed the paper across the surface of the bathroom cabinet. Staring up at me was the face of a man. Most of it was guesswork, some guesses of failed research. The man had dirty blonde hair with sparkling blue eyes. His face was bright and smiling with crinkles that showed he was always relaxed and happy.

     Over time the picture had changed from brown to blonde hair, soft jaw to strong. I sighed and examined myself. Dirty blond hair that was too long, Mom had explained to me months ago how hair cuts were too expensive then laughed as Michael chased me around the house with a bowl and scissors.

     Eventually he'd given up and I'd woken to fists raining down on me the next night. My blue eyes were like the one in the picture sparkling and inviting, with a hidden hardness. Or so they seemed. I still hadn't managed to invite make a friend. Strong, chiseled jaw, broad shoulders, and what I liked to think of as a very muscular physique. Fading bruises littered my arms and cheek, purple and green spread across my ribs.

     I sighed and returned the photo, no sense dwelling in the past. As I walked back towards my room I stopped at a crisp white door. If anyone knew where the wallet was it was her.  But she didn't say anything I would be in worse trouble. Probably should just let it go. Play it safe. Then again when did I ever play it safe?

     Lightly I knocked on the door. 10 seconds past... 20... 30.

     The door flung open and I was pulled inside as it whooshed shut again.

     "What do you want, loser?" Emily stood by the door in her pink nightgown, scowl across her face.

     Emily's room was everything mine was not.      Huge closet, neat. A big bed sat in the middle covered in blue and white pillows and sheets, practically a cloud. Emily was also everything I was not. She was popular with friends coming over practically every day. I was about as popular as an old cow. She was smart, always bringing home test and quiz grades for the fridge. Not me. To bad no one displays Fs. Try as I might I was to focused on other things to really understand lessons in school. Even being two years younger she knew she was better and reminded me every chance she got.

     "Well?"

     Emily crossed her arms and glared.

     "I'm looking for Michael's wallet. Seen it by any chance."

     A knowing grin replaced the scowl and she innocently played with her hair.

     "Oh that's what caused the ruckus. You can thank yourself for that one. Mary thought you were cute! Imagine that! Ugh!" She was practically shrieking now.

     "And it's my fault that I don't look just like you?"

     It took the insult time to get through her thick skull but when it did her eyes widened and she stomped her foot.

     "Did-did you just call me ugly! Ahh! Out now! You'll pay for that! Daddy will know!" Yes she was one of those girls.

     I knew things would be worse later but I couldn't help it I shrieked like a five your old put on my best pouty face and marched myself out of there.

     "Fine but only if you promise me my favorite teddy bear first."

     Then I ran to my room, grabbed my things and raced out of the house, slamming the door as I went.

Okay so what'd you think so far. Unedited so any comments are welcomed. 😁😁😁