XXX

Chapter 30 | A TERRIBLE ACTRESS AND A LITTLE ASSISTANCE

He's had his hair cut since the last time I saw him, which was more than an hour ago. And, his beard is...no longer a beard, but rather medium stubble. At least, that's what I think it's called. Or is it called designer stubble? Who knows!

Either way, if I thought he was attractive before...

I start to feel nervous for some reason.

"Of course, join us," Richard says.

I can't help but just sit there, watching as he sits down. What is he doing?

"Thank you," Vaughn says, looking and acting as effortlessly intimidating as ever, if not more so with his looks being exceptionally obvious, now.

Also, now he has manners? Odd.

Richard holds out his hand to the man in front of me and introduces himself. After shaking his hand, my uncle's friend replies: "Vaughn Westergaard."

At this, Richard's head rises a bit in recognition and surprise, but before he can say anything, Roan laughs somewhat. "Sounds like a villain name."

That's what I thought! However, that's not what I say, because when Vaughn coolly gazes at Roan, I'm even intimidated. And, that very unimpressed look wasn't even directed at me!

"Who are you?" Vaughn asks him.

And I decide to take the opportunity to not look like an idiot and speak up. "Uh, Vaughn, this is Roan. He drove me here from Beaver Creek."

Vaughn finally moves his gaze to me, and I feel my heart start to race, for some odd reason. Then, he moves his gaze back to Roan, and for another odd reason, I immediately miss the eye contact.

Vaughn holds out his hand, "Roan, nice to meet you. Thank you for driving her here safely."

'Thank you for driving her here safely?'

Roan shakes his hand, "Yeah, no problem. Only had to suffer through a few miserable Taylor Swift songs." He laughs.

I bite my lip, ultimately ignoring him.

Vaughn doesn't say anything in reply to him, either, and Richard wisely decides to ignore Roan also, focusing his attention on the man who has just joined us.

"So, how do you two know each other?" Richard asks, referring to me and the man in front of me.

"She's an old friend of my sister's," Vaughn speaks up, lying easily.

Sister? He has a sister?

I make sure to not look too confused, though, because that would be dumb.

Richard just nods in response to him, and then, the attention is on me once again.

"So, Jane, may I ask why you hitchhiked here?"