XLV

Chapter 45 | OK, BOOMER

Walking over to the couple's table, I'm informed that they're ready for the bill.

A few minutes later, and they're preparing to leave. However, before they do, the older woman smiles at me as she whispers over, "You missed it."

I feel my face morph into one of confusion. "Missed what?"

"What happened with the man who makes you blush."

Oh, the creepy Mick guy? She saw what happened to him...of course, she did.

I feel myself tilt my head to the side slightly, prompting her to continue.

"That embodiment of soggy toast who came in and was making you look uncomfortable. You missed his terrified face when the man who makes you blush started talking to him."

Wait...she's implying that Vaughn is the man who makes me blush? I mean, he does, but anyone can make me blush.

It's not that big of a deal. Right?

And, 'embodiment of soggy toast'? I'm using that one.

But then I really start to focus on what she said.

Vaughn started talking to the guy as soon as I left?

And the man looked terrified? Why?

What did Vaughn tell him?

"Did you happen to hear what was being said?" I ask, hopefully, but deep down, I know she didn't.

"No, sorry," she replies, still whispering lowly to me as her husband waits patiently by the door for her. "But you should definitely keep the one you like around. The way he looks at you is adorable, and he acts as a good, slimy-man-repellent. And, of course, he's certainly not bad on the eyes."

The way he looks at me?

Laughing awkwardly, feeling thoroughly confused, I nod, thanking the woman.

Before she leaves, however, she whispers one last final thing to me: "I wish my husband looked at me like that."

And then I'm hesitantly sliding over in front of Vaughn, trying to violently shove the woman's words out of my mind. Even if they did flatter me, there's no way Vaughn could like me that way.

Or like me at all period.

He's looking relaxed, but I can tell that he's also clearly on guard, staying aware of everyone and everything in the room.

And when he looks at me, I almost forget about everyone and everything else in the room. Why am I like this?

"Um...Vaughn?"

"Yes, Mikaere?"

"What did you tell that guy?"

He tilts his head to the side, "What guy?"