XXXIV

Chapter 34 | TREE CONVERSATION

"I just can't make sense of all this," I confess to him, and he raises an eyebrow, waiting for me to continue. "I have all of these little details...no solid proof, just these annoying little details and things I've noticed. And, I have nothing to apply them to. And, without making them seem like a big deal, I have no idea how to bring them up to people to find out more about it."

He's silent, then: "I'm guessing you didn't talk to anyone about these things you've noticed."

I shrug, "I didn't want it to seem like I was accusing anyone of anything."

"What did you notice?"

"...Well, you see, they're about Henry."

"Mikaere, what did you notice?"

"Before I tell you, I need you to promise me you'll keep this between us for now."

"Yes, because I go to the village and gossip all the time."

I laugh slightly, raising an eyebrow, amused. "Wow... sarcasm, huh? Didn't think you had it in you."

He does have a point, though.

Before I can say anything else, however, he says: "But if it will put your mind at ease, I promise."

I smile, thinking about how far we've come from him trying to get away from me every chance he got. And we haven't even known each other that long, either. It's great.

"Okay, well, Henry was the last person John was seen with, apparently. And in the tavern, he kept sending weird glances in Luna's direction."

Vaughn nods, "I noticed."

"You did?" I ask, kind of surprised. I mean, I don't doubt his observational skills at all, but he doesn't seem fazed by the information in the least. "Well, anyway, later, I walked outside, and I saw him leaving Luna's store. And, yeah, I'm aware it's the only store in town, which, by the way, is very inconvenient, but he didn't walk out with anything."

Vaughn stays silent as I continue on, "Then there's that whole thing with him giving me John's camera and saying all that stuff about Richard."

"Wait," Vaughn says suddenly as he leans forward slightly, interested. "John's camera?"

I nod, "Yeah, he said he found it by the river years ago and forgot to give it to me when I first got here. The SD card is missing, though."

"What else did he say?"

"He said he had a feeling that John hid the SD card to hide whatever was on it, because the last time Henry saw him, John was claiming he had something to show Nina. And then he just started asking me a bunch of questions."

"...Questions such as?"

"Questions like, 'did John ever tell you about specific things he saw here?' and trying to confirm that John never said he photographed anything peculiar."