XXVIII

Chapter 28 | JOHN'S CAMERA

Turning my attention back to Henry, I ask him what that was all about.

He leans against the bar, lowering his voice. "I have a friend who's gone for most of the year, and he's entrusted me with his cabin. Since my friend met Vaughn a couple of times, he's fine with him staying there whenever he needs to. Nina doesn't know about it, she thinks he stays at the motel."

Whispering back, I ask, "Why would it be a big deal if Nina were to know?"

"She wouldn't approve. Doesn't trust him."

"And you do?"

He nods, "Yes."

I nod also, looking at the camera in his hands. "What's that?"

He immediately hands the Canon camera over to me. "I found it while walking along the outskirts of town years ago. I forgot to give it to you the first time you were here. It was your uncle's camera."

Wait, what?

My mouth drops open a bit in surprise, and my heart starts beating faster as I process the information.

"W-what? On the outskirts of town? Where exactly? Do you think that's where the wolf pack took him?"

Well, the supposed wolf pack.

And, he said he found it on the outskirts of town? But, it looks to be in fine shape.

Either way, I didn't think I'd be able to find this, let alone have it handed to me.

"Over by the Chickaloon river, actually. And, well, that's what they say."

I mean, I'd made it my goal to find this...and now, I actually have it.

And whatever is on here...it will give a clue as to what happened. Am I even ready to look at it?

"The SD card is missing," Henry says then, and immediately my thoughts stop racing.

I frown, "Do you have any idea as to where it could be?"

Henry's brows furrow, "No, unfortunately. However, I have a feeling he hid it to hide whatever was on it."

I examine the camera, feeling a bit uncertain all of a sudden. "What makes you think that?"

"The last time I saw him, he was claiming he had something to show Nina. I don't know what, though."

"I...don't know what to think."

"Did he ever write to you in his letters, telling you about any specific things he was seeing around here?"

I shake my head, "No, all he basically said was that he had a friend I could stay with if I ever needed to, and gave me directions to do so."

"So, he never said he photographed anything...peculiar or anything?"