XXXVIII

Chapter 38 | MARSHMALLOWS AND MUSIC

When I wake up, the first thing I realize is that it's light out, so it's sometime in the late morning or early afternoon, and looking at my phone's time confirms that.

The second thing I realize is that it's the last day of November, and it's been two weeks since I met Vaughn.

Speaking of Vaughn...

I then realize that he is, in fact, outside somewhere, and I notice that Moose is gone, too. After eating and completing my morning routine, which is technically afternoon routine, I head out to find them, grabbing my hatchet and sliding my new knife in my boot.

Just in case that wolf isn't completely gone and is feeling like following and growling at me again.

Stepping outside into the cold, I zip my jacket up further as I scan the treeline for any signs of life. I keep looking around aimlessly for a moment before I decide to check in the cave, where I find the two giants by a small bonfire. Vaughn is sitting on a random big rock, and Moose is lying a few feet away from him.

Both immediately see me, the man lifting his head from looking at what appears to be a large bag of marshmallows in his hands. Moose wags his tail as a greeting when he sees me approaching.

I raise an eyebrow at the bag, silently questioning Vaughn about it. He immediately states: "They're not for me."

Sitting down by the fire, across from Moose, I nod once in the dog's direction. "He likes marshmallows?"

"Yes," he answers. "Catch."

I look up in time to catch the unopened marshmallow bag that he tosses to me. "You want me to give him some?"

"If you want," he answers as I open the bag, watching as Moose's tail instantly starts wagging. "Did you eat?"

Nodding, I tell him what I had as I take a marshmallow out and hold it up for the dog to see. Then, I ask Vaughn, "Does he know any tricks? Does he know how to speak?"

Before he can answer, though, Moose barks loudly, and so I immediately toss him the treat. Guess he can, then.

"Do you like marshmallows?" I ask Vaughn for no other reason than curiosity.

"No."

I'm really not surprised, to be honest.

Then, he asks me, "Do you?"

I toss Moose another one. "Only if they're roasted."

No reply.

But at this point, I've long become used to it.

"Mikaere?"

I look up at him, surprised. "Yeah?"

"How did you sleep?"