00

𝒷𝑒𝑔𝒾𝓃𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔,

( second-person point of view  )

Today was like any other day working for the police department. You had not known this day would mark the start of something wonderful. Upon being called into the police chief's office, you were a bit nervous. You had only been promoted rather recently. Not wanting to defy direct orders, you nervously sat down in the chair across from his desk.

"Thank you for coming in, detective (L/n)," He said, looking across at you intently. "I'll skip the formalities, I'm considering assigning you to the Kira investigation. What are your thoughts?"

"I haven't heard of that case, sir," You admitted somewhat sheepishly.

"Thankfully it hasn't gotten much attention from the media yet," The chief explained with a sigh. "I wanted to get all the team members I could before things got too political." Nodding along in agreement, you said,

"That's smart. Do we have any details?" The chief cleared his throat, sitting upright.

"He's a serial killer," He stated gravely. "We don't know who he is or how he kills. We could use all the help we can get."

"Sounds fun," You said with a small smirk, however, you soon shook your head once you realized how horrible that sounded. "The killing isn't fun, I meant the investigation sounds like it would be fun to work. Er! I mean, it would be an incredible opportunity to join the case. That's--That's what I meant... sir."

"I understand, detective," The chief said with an amused smile, which you were very thankful for. With a handshake, you agreed to join the investigation.

"I will have a file on your desk as soon as possible," The chief told you and gestured to the exit. You made your way back to your desk, getting the silent message. You sighed, letting all your nerves melt away. You were so thrilled for the opportunity to prove yourself once again. 

Just as the chief promised, a file was delivered to your desk containing all the information about the case at the moment. You opened it up and scanned through the pages which provided you with the brief amount of knowledge the police had gathered. Your fingers stopped when you saw a certain photo paper-clipped onto the file. A black letter on white paper, but you recognized the font of the letter instantly. Your eyes frantically read the entire page.

"The investigation will be headed by the department and private detective 'L' who has--" You stopped reading, now knowing enough to let yourself grin like a madwoman. Oh, how the joy ran through your veins at the prospect of getting to work with him. You couldn't wait to tell the detective in question. You took out your phone and click on his contact.

"Hello, (Y/n)." You smiled upon hearing the sound of your boyfriend's smooth voice.

"Hey! I have some pretty great news," You told him giddily, and L could hear the grin in your voice.

"Oh, what is it?" He asked, his curiosity officially entertained.

"I've been assigned to the Kira investigation," There was silence on the other end. You chewed on your lip nervously for a moment. Perhaps you should not have called the situation great news.

"Are you still there?" You asked timidly when there was no response for several seconds.

"Yes, I was just thinking," He explained calmly, as usual. "I am very happy that I will get to see you more often, don't get me wrong, but I'm worried about your safety."

"What do you mean?" You grew in concern. You knew the case was catching a serial killer, but this was your job. This had been your job for years and he knew that it was dangerous. What was so special about this case specifically?

"This case is far more dangerous than anything you've ever worked before," He went on carefully, "I can't order you to drop the case, but I think it would be best if we kept the status of our relationship a secret for now. It's purely for our safety. We could be used against each other if the situation presents itself."

"I totally understand," You stated, nodding your head even though you knew he couldn't see you. "That's probably a good idea." At the time, you had not known the specifics of the case and why you needed to keep your relationship a secret. Of course, later you would find out exactly why.

"I have to go, love, but I am looking forward to working with you."

"I am too. Talk to you later!" You said with a smile before ending the phone call. For the rest of the workday, you were in a good mood, which wasn't unusual. L would recall the details of his latest case aloud as you laid together once he returned for a long trip away from you. That was one of the things he hated most about his job; being away from the one he loved. Now, you got to work a case together, so you could finally see firsthand how he solves a case.

Little did you know at the time, but your life was about to be changed forever.

𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝓊𝑒𝒹. . .