03

𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝑔𝑒𝓉 𝒽𝓊𝓇𝓉 𝑜𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒿𝑜𝒷,

( second-person point of view  )

Hardly anything could take L's attention off his work that day. Knee-deep in something he found fascinating that pertinent to the case, L was inseparable from his desk. Even in his divine observation skills, he failed to tune in to the rather frantic conversation going on behind him. That was until he heard your name.

"Gosh, is (Y/n) okay?" Matsuda said in a compassionate tone. The mention of the woman he loved, especially in that context, made L pause his work; a feat he previously thought to be impossible.

"What happened to (Y/n)?" He asked casually, turning in his chair slightly to look at the men in the room with him.

"Oh, you didn't hear?" Matsuda said, his expression demonstrating anxiety. "She was shot earlier today following up on that lead." The detective froze. You were shot? How did he not know about that? He swiftly took out his personal phone to find three missed calls, all from the same number. He made the obvious mistake of putting it in on silent while working. 

To the utter shock of the other detectives in the room, L jumped from his chair and bolted out the door. While exiting HQ, L quickly played the voicemail that was left on his phone.

"Hi, you're the emergency contact for a patient that was brought in earlier today by the name (Y/n) (L/n)," The calm voice on the recording explained. "She was shot just above her hip, room 14a. She's comatose but stable."

. . .

Softly, slowly, and steadily you drifted in and out of consciousness. Reality finally returned to you as your eyes fluttered open. The sound of the heartrate-monitor beeping was the first thing you heard as you woke up. You felt the awkward IV drip attached to your arm that laid on the thin sheets spread over your lap. You also felt a tight and somewhat sore feeling in your abdomen. You looked around the fluorescent-lit hospital room to find L. You smiled softly. 

His head rested on your bed, the rest of him sat in a chair pulled awfully close to the side of said bed. One of his hands was laid beside yours. He looked like he fell off his chair when he let the hands of sleep overtake him. He was adorable. Your fingers gently grazed his, your limbs feeling extraordinarily weak. You wondered how long you had been out.

"Hey... " You whispered, your throat hoarse as ever. "L... Wake up, sweetheart." L stirred for a moment before sitting up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He looked like he was in even worse shape than ever.

"How long have you been here?" You asked, having to clear your throat.

"No more than a day," L told you, shaking the sleep from his voice.

"You didn't have to stay here with me." You asked, lacing your fingers with his gently.

"I wanted to be here when you woke up," L stated un-emotionally, although it was a very sweet sentiment.

"Thank you," You said, leaning over to try and kiss him. You winced, then groaned, not able to make it all the way over to your boyfriend. Your abdomen stung and you fell back down onto the pillows behind you.

"Please be careful," L stood up and gently helped you back to a laying position. You could see the worry in his eyes. He looked so sleep-deprived and concerned, his somewhat cold hands resting on your shoulders, lovingly rubbing his thumbs across your skin. You smiled.

"I probably won't be able to come in for a few weeks," You explained, looking into his kind eyes.

"I know," L said, placing a tender kiss on your forehead. "But I'll come and visit you every day, I promise. I never should've let you follow that lead without backup. I should have known better, I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," You told him, upset that he would blame himself. "This is my job and has been for a long time. It was a lucky shot but I'm going to be fine."

"I do sometimes wish you would find a line of work that was less life-threatening," L admitted, moving a strand of hair from your face. "I worry about you, (Y/n)."

"And you think I don't worry about you?" You asked, laughing slightly. "I'm going to be okay." You lifted up your arms weakly. "Now come here, only cuddles will make me feel better."

𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝓊𝑒𝒹. . .