12

𝒽𝑒'𝓈 𝒸𝑜𝓁𝒹 𝓉𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊,

( second-person point of view  )

Lately, L had been feeling like he was being almost nicer to you than he was to everyone else on the taskforce. To keep up the reputation of the two of you being co-workers only, L felt he needed to be a bit less friendly to you. He didn't want to hurt your feelings, he would never want to cause you any pain whatsoever, but it was for your safety. If anyone suspected you were more than acquaintances or even friends, your life could be put in grave danger. If it was for any other reason, he would never consider it. But he couldn't imagine his life without you so he knew what had to be done. Regardless, that didn't mean he felt good about it.

. . .

You entered the main-room of the headquarters. You were in a pretty good mood today, even though you had a lot of work to do. You smiled when you saw L typing away at his computer.

"Morning, Ryuzaki," You greeted cheerfully. 

"I need you to get started on that profile assignment, (C/n)," L responded almost callously. "You're behind on your work." You were taken aback at his statement, but you knew he was right. You got to work right away to catch up on everything you were oh so behind on. Turns out, you weren't that behind on your work, only one or two tasks had yet to be completed. You got them done swiftly and properly, as you always did.

"I'm all caught up on yesterday's work, and I also finished the project you gave me earlier," You reported confidently. You thought you had done a good job on all of it, and you were almost proud.

"This is adequate," L stated indifferently, not removing his eyes from his monitor screen. "But next time don't be so careless as to forget about your assignments." You blinked several times in a row. L had never been so cold to you before. You wondered if you had done something to upset him and not realized it. If so, you knew you desperately needed to apologize.

"Oh, okay," You muttered before returning to your post. Upon seeing your baffled and somewhat hurt expression, L felt instantly regretful. He hated the fact that he was what caused your pain. He hated seeing the one he loved in pain, but it was better than the one he loved being dead.

. . .

You knocked on the desk next to L's keyboard, successfully getting his attention. You cleared your throat and you asked quietly,

"Have I done something to upset you?" L turned his head to the side to look at you, silent repentance in his demeanor.

"No, not at all," He whispered back cautiously looking over his shoulder. "I only said that to keep up appearances, I promise you. I am truly sorry for being so harsh."

"Oh, that's a relief," You chuckled softly with a smile. "I understand and I forgive you." You smiled at L and he smiled back. You stepped away and got back to work. You were heavily relieved. You didn't know if you could stand the thought of L being upset with you. You were also glad L was smart enough to cover all your bases. You were just glad to have L in general. And he was beyond glad to have you.

𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝓊𝑒𝒹. . .