02

𝓉𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒸𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝒽𝒾𝓂,

( second-person point of view  )

"Morning," You greeted, somewhat sleepily. You knew L had probably been working long before you arrived at HQ, as always. Your boyfriend had a strange yet incredible work ethic, however, sometimes he worked too hard. It was common for L to become overwork and when he did, you were always there to remind him it was necessary to take care of himself.

"Good morning," L returned your greeting, not turning his attention away from his monitor screen.

"I made you breakfast," You told him with a smile. He looked skeptically at the plate you placed in front of him. He remained silent for a moment, his lips pressing into a thin line.

"What is that?" L asked. His tone clearly indicated he doubted what you presented him with was actually food.

"It's breakfast," You explained simply, repeating yourself. "Now eat it."

"It doesn't look edible," L stated, partially disgusted. If there was anything that could ever possibly rival L's love for you was his love for sweets. Still, you thought that he would at least try something new. You were surprised he managed to stay so lean due to his horrible diet. Regardless, you tried your best to encourage him to like what was good for him. It was not working as well as you had hoped.

"It's good for you!" You urged him to try it but he simply shook his head. He returned to look at the computer in front of him and you sighed.

"I swear, you are a literal child sometimes."

. . .

It was heaven-knows-how-late when you got out of bed to get a glass of water and use the restroom. As you were making your way back to your room, you noticed a dim light from a nearby room. You peeked your head in to see who was up at this ungodly hour. No surprises here, it was L.

"What are you doing?" You asked, your voice a little groggy still.

"Working," L stated very plainly. "Why are you up so late, dear?"

"I needed something to drink," You explained, folding your arms over your chest and walking closer. "But I could ask you the same thing."

"Things need to get done," L said with a small stretch. "And you know I don't sleep much anyway." You noticed as he suppressed a yawn. You knew he was tired, but forcing himself to stay awake anyways. You shook your head, knowing he would always put his well-being on hold to work.

"You're going to work yourself to death someday," You pointed out, approaching the sleepless detective. "Kira's still going to be here tomorrow."

"But if I stop, the odds of losing the trail increase," L fired back easily.

"Tell me, genius detective," You said a bit teasingly, gently resting your hands on his hunched shoulders, "what's better: a lot of mediocre work, or some really good work?"

"The latter, most likely," L admitted rather sheepishly.

"Quality over quantity," You told him, wrapping your arms around his shoulders, pressing your face against his neck. "If you don't get enough sleep, you'll get sloppier and sloppier, but if you take care of yourself you'll be sharper than ever." With a small sigh, L conceded.

"Sometimes I forget you're more intelligent than I am," L stated, leaning into your comforting touch.

"I'm too tired to tell if that was an insult or a compliment," You said with a chuckle. "But let's get you to bed."

𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓉𝒾𝓃𝓊𝑒𝒹. . .