Chapter 4

After two weeks of overthinking it, Adam finally found the will to step out of his apartment for groceries. He didn't have to walk too far, the small business run by nice Asian folks with a thick accent was only around the block. It didn't make Adam's anxiety any easier or manage, though. So, as usual, he had his face and hair buried under his hoodie, and he avoided looking anywhere but the floor.

If anyone called out to him, that would be enough for him to turn around and sprint back towards his apartment.

The behavior was strange, but it was something Adam couldn't explain himself. He wasn't always like this. Back then he had been shy, but not like this. His anxiousness around people had grown worse over the years, and shutting himself indoors wasn't helping, but he couldn't bring himself to confront the fear.

What did he have to go outside for anyway?

Shopping. That was about it. So why even bother? Or at least that's how he saw it.

"Fuck, it's cold," Adam groaned other his breath as he tucked his naked hands into the pocket of his stained pants. It was a fall morning—about ten on a Saturday. The peace and quiet outside had made it an attractive time to go shopping but what had he been thinking only wearing jogging pants and a loose hoodie?

"Fuck," Adam groaned again, feeling his cold dry fingers run against the fabric of his pocket in a way that made the feeling worse. Adam's lips thinned put into a line. For a moment he considered going back home, but he shook his head knowing that he wouldn't find the will to step outside again for another month or so. He started walking again, only stopping in his tracks when someone walked past him. Adam looked up, and his eyes went wide when he noticed the person in front of him.

Assad.

He had only seen the man a few times, but his dreadlocks and tall figure were hard to mistake for someone else. Adam blinked, wondering if Assad hasn't noticed him because of his get-up.

The man was now a good distance ahead of him, but Adam could spot the shopping bags in his hands and noticed that Assad was heading in the same direction as him. He was going shopping too.

Adam's stomach churned. He didn't want to talk to the kid now. Assad had knocked on his door a few times after dropping off the apology gift, but he had given up rather quickly.

I should go back. He thought to himself, letting his brain use any excuse it wanted to, to try and convince him to go back inside.

For a minute he staggered, turning back in the direction of the apartment complex, but he stopped himself, shaking his head and walking before his brain could make him pause again. He couldn't live on take-out forever even if he wanted to. He would run out of money if he did that.

He kept heading off to the grocery store, telling himself that he would just ignore Assad if the youngster called out. Heck, maybe he wouldn't recognize him under the hoodie.

The bell jiggled when Adam pushed open the door, and he made a beeline to the basket stack, grabbing one of them before moving about the store as quickly as possible to grab the groceries he wanted. He avoided everyone's gaze—including Assad's and made sure they were at all-times at opposite ends of the store.

Adam let out a relieved sigh as he grabbed the last item on his list. It was such a small thing—shopping in public, but it felt like an extreme sport sometimes.

Adam looked up from his basket, noticing that Assad was still grabbing stuff. He rose a brow, wondering why the man was so slow. Looking away, his eyes fell on the check-out desk with the chaser behind it. She wasn't busy, and Adam felt that if he went over, she would be done scanning his items in a few minutes and he would pay and leave before Assad could catch up to him.