Chapter 29

On the day Assad and Adam had to drive to the next town for Eid dinner, Adam set out his best clothes and pressed them with an iron.

"No one is going to care," the younger man had said, rolling his eyes. His dreadlocks had been packed into a tight, low bun, and all the ornaments he often wore on them were removed. Adam didn't ask why, but he guessed his parents hadn't been fond of his hairstyling choice, and maybe this was his way of looking 'presentable.'

They left early in the afternoon, and the ride had taken about four hours. When they got to the apartment complex that Assad's aunt and children lived in, it was already well past five in the evening. Assad had explained that his uncle worked remotely and only came to visit his wife and kids when he was on leave.

"Anytime we talk about our folks, I learn something weird," Adam said, watching Assad knock on the door before sending a text message to his aunt.

"My family's weird, or it's not just the dynamic you're used to around here," Assad said. "It's expected, it's a whole different culture after all."

Adam hummed. "That's true."

The two were talking about the differences in how they grew up when the door to the apartment flew open.

"Welcome!"

Adam didn't know what he had expected, but a woman who was covered from head to toe in colorful orange and purple garments rushing to hug him hadn't been his first guess. He stood still at first, a bit stunned at the woman's show of affection, but when he felt Assad give his shoulder a squeeze he blinked before hugging the woman back. She pulled away from him, holding him at arm's length as she complimented his clothes before walking over to hug Assad. Another woman in a more western-style attire came over to greet Adam, giving him a handshake before ushering him into the tiny apartment.

The smell of food was the first thing to hit Adam. It made his stomach squeeze up a bit, reminding him of Assad's kitchen.

"Come on, we put out a seat for you," the woman said, dragging Adam towards the dining table decorated with small crescent and moon ornaments. There was a colorful Ramadan calendar on the wall, and streamers made of paper hanging from one end of the wall to the other.

Assad's family did not speak Arabic, Assad had explained that much to Adam, so it wasn't a surprise to just hear creole and English spoken in thick accents. Muslims were a religious minority back in the Caribbean, so most of their practices were influenced by the more dominant religions and cultures like Hindu, Hoodoo, and Christianity. Adam saw that in how Assad's mother and aunt were dressed, and the table setting style.

When Adam sat down at the dining table, Assad came to sit beside him. The children—two younger ones and one tween—kept giving Adam glances as they talked to Assad. All the children looked like their mother, but they didn't share her lighter skin, so Adam guessed their father might be darker in complexion.

"Don't be rude, greet the guest," Assad's aunt said, as she walked over to the dining table with a bowl of water.

"Good evening," the tween girl said, but the two younger boys seemed more interested in staring at the food on display. They did offer a quick wave when scolded more directly by their mum. Assad's aunt stretched the bowl of water towards Assad and Adam. Adam wasn't sure what to do, but when Assad reached his hands into the stainless-steel bowl to wash his hands Adam got the gist and emulated him.

After washing their hands, Adam watched the family do a small prayer before they could dish food on their plate. There was everything from rice, stews, soups, meat, and porridges. Assad's aunt had expressed concern that Adam might not like the food much, but after half an hour of him putting every and anything on his dinner dish, the concern evolved to jokes about Assad not feeding Adam enough because the older man was helping himself to large portions.

"I heard you and Assad are together," the woman in western clothes said in a low voice, seemingly not wanting her kids to hear her. "I hope you're taking care of each other."

"We are," Assad said, stabbing a bit of goat meat with his fork. The red-orange light of the dining room lights bounced off his dark skin. "We'll be living together soon. We're planning on looking at a few places close to campus, and maybe moving in before the next term starts."

Assad's mother nodded her head before looking over at Adam. "Oh, what year are you in?" Assad's mother asked, staring at Adam.

Adam's eyes went wide for a bit before he shook his head. "I graduated years ago," Adam explained. "I'm twenty-five and I'm working now," he explained, realizing that she must have thought that he and Assad attended the same college.

"That's nice to hear!" the woman said. "What degree did you do?" she asked.

"General character design and animation," Adam explained, and the woman's face fell a little. "I'm glad, I earn quite a bit now."

"Really?"

"Yes, he does," Assad butt in. "I'm thinking that maybe I might go into animation like him one day," Assad said, holding eye contact with his mother.

"Well, I didn't know that art jobs offered that much," she said, taking a sip of juice from a glass on the table.

"Animation jobs do," Adam said. "If you get a placement."

Adam wasn't sure why, but things felt a bit strained. He looked down at his plate of food and kept eating when nothing was said in response to his words. A while later, the two women and Assad switched to speaking in creole. After dinner Adam and Assad loitered about the apartment, helping with the dishes and talking to the children. The kids even managed to get a few bucks out of them, as was the holiday tradition as Assad explained. When it became a bit late, the two said their goodbyes, and Adam watched Assad kiss his mum and aunt goodbye before stepping out into the corridor too.

"Thank you," Assad said after he closed his aunt's apartment door behind him. The sound of the door closing echoed through the hallway.

"Why?" Adam asked, raising a brow as he tucked his hands into the pocket of his dress pants. He had overdressed today, but it was alright, at least he hoped he had made a good impression on Assad's mother and aunt.

Assad shrugged. "For talking about your job and how well you're doing."

"My mum took my side when I argued with my dad about what I was studying in university, but that doesn't mean she wasn't worried," Assad explained as the two walked down the stairs. "Back where they grew up, it's jobs in STEM, government, and medicine that gives you independence. She was also concerned when I decided to get a degree in arts and design, but I think she's a lot more comfortable after we talked about it today."

"I see," were the only words Adam could muster. He hadn't had that problem, and it was something he was grateful for. Soon, the two were out of the apartment building, and in the parking lot.

"So, what do you think?" Assad asked when the two got into the car and had worn their seat belts.

"What do I think about what?" Adam asked, looking over at Assad who started the car engine.

The younger man shrugged. "My family."

Adam smiled. "I think your mum and aunt are nice," he said, licking his lips. "They make great food," he added, remembering the taste of the dishes he'd eaten a few hours back.

Assad laughed, shaking his head. "You love food too much, oh my God." He rolled his eyes. "What did you fall in love with first. Me or the food I lured you with?"

Adam shrugged, smiling a bit. "I don't know to be honest..."

That sent Assad into another fit of laughter. The two kept talking as Assad drove them home, and Adam's chest fluttered whenever he remembered Assad's aunt thanking him for taking care of her son.

Adam looked over at Assad at a red light stop, smiling to himself. If anyone needed to thank anybody, it was him. He couldn't imagine his life without the younger man anymore.