Grim Reaper

The penthouse was visible from the vantage point, a wide balcony at the front, another small balcony with a swimming pool on the left. The Mayor preferred to spend the weekend in his favourite penthouse, it was on the top-most floor of one of the highest towers the city had, overlooking almost everything. If there was anything higher than the penthouse, it was a transmission tower near the penthouse.

"Angel, I see it." – Samuel tapped into his microphone.

"How does it look?" – a reply came with some minor static

"Beautiful. Spacious. Colorful."- Samuel sighed, smoke billowed out of his mouth.

"Let's make it dark. Remember, one last time?" – Angel replied.

"One last time." – Samuel smiled.

Samuel opened his bag, revealed a zipline trolley and carefully placed it on the cable which seemed to emerge from the tower he stood on and went right above the penthouse balcony with no visible end.

"Angel, do it." – Samuel tapped his watch which started counting down.

"Five minutes, Good luck Sam." – Angel replied.

Samuel pushed himself off the rail while holding the trolley and started ziplining. The trolley screeched as Samuel picked up the speed, he had to time the jump correctly. A little early and he might miss the balcony, thus falling down from a hundred stories. A little late and he might hit the wall and break his bones. The tension kept building and then everything went dark, the blackout was in process. The city had never faced a blackout before, the twinkling lights in the distance, the light from nearby windows went off. The whole city plunged into darkness and it was just a matter of time before civilians start to panic.

Samuel let go of the trolley and landed on the balcony with a front flip to compensate for the impact, a basic parkour technique. He pulled down his nightvision goggles and unholstered his Bernetti 9 Pistol with an attached silencer, a perfect weapon for stealth takedowns.

Samuel strided towards the door and leaned against the wall as he heard the door knob turn and saw the guard stepping out in the balcony. He slowly crept up to the guard, wrapped his left arm around the guard's neck while holding the rifle with his right hand, restricting the guard from any movement.

"Do not make a sound." – Samuel whispered.

"No! Please! Don't kill me" – the guard whispered back.

"I won't. Unless you say Monkey"

"What? Monkey? Why?"

"There you go. You said it." – Samuel tightened his grip

"No, no, no, I'll tell you everything. Don't kill me!" – the guard replied in a subdued voice

"Tell me then, where is the Mayor?" – Samuel glanced at his watch.

"He's in his room. He's hiding there!"

"Like.. just.. chilling?" – Samuel chuckled.

"No! There is a small glass compartment in his room, it encloses his bed only. The door can be opened only from the inside and the glass is bulletproof" – the guard replied.

"How does he breathe inside the chamber?"

"There's a vent and it's connected to a vent in storeroom."

"Where is the storeroom?" – Samuel grew impatient and started clutching the guard's neck.

"Downstairs, the first door from the entrance."

"Well, that's useful."

"Please. Please don't kill me." – the guard started panting

"Are you gonna say Monkey?" – Samuel asked.

"What? No!"

"Good." – Samuel choked out the guard and dragged his unconscious body at the corner.

He had 3 more minutes, he brisked up his pace and moved from shadows to shadows. Everyone in the building was at disadvantage due to darkness and Samuel's dark suit made him almost invisible. He stepped inside the room, it was a mess. He unscrewed the vent cover and climbed inside, barely fitting inside the space. He crawled forward as quietly as possible, no one had known there was someone inside the house, to kill the Mayor. He reached an intersection , turned left and kept crawling up the slope. He turned his head around to see multiple fans lined up behind each other which told him that if he didn't make it in the next ninety seconds, he will be blasted by cold air until he reach the other end.

He was sweating inside his suit, small beads slowly trickled down his face. His wristwatch beeped as the counter reached thirty seconds, he had thirty seconds until the power would be back on. The shaft went on endlessly and right when he started doubting his decision, a glimmer of blue light caught his attention. He reached the opening and took a sigh of relief; he positioned himself upright and waited for the counter to hit the zero.

He did a final check on his equipment and pistol, the watch started beeping and the counter reached zero. There was a large impact as the electricity was back on, he folded his arms and let the gravity did its work. The vent case broke as Samuel did a superhero landing in front of the Mayor inside the glass chamber.

"Oh my God!" – the Mayor shrieked in fear.

"That is not how you welcome your guests." – Samuel replied with a grin.

"Well, guests don't enter the house like this too!"

"Okay, enough joking. I won't take much of your time as you don't have much anyway. See, Stef is a kind of person who never lets his grudges get in the way with his business but you really pissed him off." – Samuel made use of his heavy voice to keep the tension alive.

"Look, I'll make it up. Whatever it is. Money? How much? I'll pay." – the Mayor wheezed.

"It's too late, sir. You are relieved of your duties and your sins." – Samuel brought out two smoke grenades and pulled up his smoke mask. The smoke diffused quickly throughout the space, making it difficult to breath.

"Who are you?" – the Mayor coughed.

"The Grim Reaper."