Chapter 5: The farmer is surrounded

His eyelids fluttered open, the sunlight from the gaps of the bamboo shutter blinding his vision. Blinking a few times, he gets up from the bed. His back was sore like he was sleeping on a hard surface—He gazed downwards to see himself lying on a wooden plank. Sleeping beside him was the old aunty's son, Chen De Ming. Lan Xi Chen leaped out of the bed like a frightened cat.

"How did this happen?!" He thought to himself, scratching the back of his neck. His eyes trailed down the young man, his collar had came loose at the lower half of his neck, exposing his sexy collarbone and his tan lines from farming under the Sun. A little red bean peeked out at the side. His silky black hair scattered all over. Chen De Ming was indeed an attractive young man, but the way he slept like this looked so...erotic. The tall man standing in front bit his lip, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down.

Lan Xi Chen shook his head, telling himself to get it together. "What am I thinking? Seriously..." His head was ringing. Then, he remembered yesterday.... Wei Wu Xian offered Wang Ji and him alcohol. He drank a cup and he passed out. He couldn't remember what happened afterwards.

"Hhn...."

Chen De Ming groaned, waking up from his slumber, rubbing his eyes. "Ah! Y-you're awake!" He said, a bit of panic in his eyes as he adjusted his clothing.

"What did I do last night?" Lan Xi Chen asked.

"I-it's not what you think. You were drunk so my mother asked to put you on my bed. You hugged me and I couldn't get out so I fell asleep beside you," His cheeks were tinted pink as he explained.

Hearing that, the taller man breathe out a sigh of relieve. Thank god nothing else happened or else I don't know what to say to the old aunty if I made a move on his son while drunk....

"I apologise for last night. I had a bad day and I drank alcohol. I didn't know I would impulsively come here," he told, lowering his gaze, disappointed at himself. 'I've gotten too comfortable with the two. I can't rely on them every time I have a problem. Am I really that lonely?'

"It's fine, I owe you my life for saving me," the young man grinned. "My mother was really persistent about letting you sleep here, I couldn't refuse really...." His heart said. "That reminds me...you kept on saying someone's name while you were drunk. It was J-Jin something Jin Guang Ya-"

"Forget about that," Lan Xi Chen interrupted. The air around him turned dark, the colour of his face paled. "Forget that I said that. Please." His hazel eyes gleamed with a mix of pain and angst. The shorter man was taken aback.

"Alright, I didn't hear anything," he said, nervously. 'You were crying yesterday when you called my name but now you look like you could kill someone, aren't you confusing ':] ' He cleared his throat and changed the subject. "What about you join us for breakfast, sir :) ?"

"Thank you but I have to decline the offer, I need to go back to work," Lan Xi Chen said, his voice blunt, opening the door. He walked out and saw the old lady placing a big bowl of congee on the small wooden table. The fragrant smell made his mouth water. "Ah, sir! You're awake," she said, smiling. "Did you sleep well last night?"

Despite feeling his stomach growl, he did not pay heed to the invite. "Thank you for last night, aunty. I'll repay you soon," Lan Xi Chen said before he exited from the house. The old woman crossed her arms. "He's in a rush," she turned to his son. De Ming shrugged.

________________

Later that day...

Jin Guang Yao was outside, farming like usual when he noticed the hot Sun above him had vanished. He took off his straw hat and glanced up. The clouds had turned grey and thick. Rumbling sounds, as if a violent storm was approaching. It was only late afternoon but the atmosphere had gone dark. The young man felt a chill across his spine, cold from the howling winds.

"Ah Ming, help me take in the laundry!" The old lady yelled, running out of the house with a basket. Quickly, they collected the clothes into the basket and went inside their house, locking the doors and windows.

"It looks like it will rain heavily," she said, pouring herself a cup of tea. "Hopefully, the crops will flourish!" Jin Guang Yao said, his eyes brightened. There was a lack of rain these days so the plants were barely surviving. If it pours, at least the greens can grow and become fresher. Maybe he can raise the price of the produce in the market this time. Fufu....His eyes twinkled as he thought about money.

"ARGHHHHHH!!!HELPP!!!HELP!!!!"

There was a loud scream. The mother and son looked at each other, recognizing the voice calling for help. "It's that chatty Fei! Ah Ming, sounds like he is in trouble!" His mother had a worried looked. "We should go help him," she insisted and was about to go when her son grabbed her hand. "No mother, you stay here. I'll check up on him."

"Be careful!"

.

.

.

Jin Guang Yao felt danger. He couldn't ask her mother to come. It was very familiar to him, a sixth sense he had. His ears picked up growling noises as he inched towards his neighbour's house. The noises were amplified as he got closer. One old man could not be able to produce so much sounds. The young man had a long shovel in his one hand, the nearest object he could find to fend himself with. The front door was broken down, he peeked inside.

!!!

He widened his eyes. Uncle Fei was on the floor, in a pool of blood, his intestines spewing from his torn stomach, not able to move as his cries of help turned weaker every second, his face white and full of suffering. Feasting on this person's body was a group of undead corpses. A small girl, three women and two men.

Suddenly, the undead little girl took notice of Jin Guang Yao's snooping. She screamed, a call to the others, notifying his presence to the group of corpses.

"Shit!"

He cursed, backing away. He turned behind to run, but that was a bad idea. More undead corpses appeared, coming for him. He was completely surrounded. The young man armed with a mere shovel had no choice but to fight.