The Beggar's Opera

I got ready for the opera, I wore a beautiful blue and pink dress I purchased the other day.

I heard a knock on the door. I answered to Mr. Todd in his best clothes.

 Todd in his best clothes

"Mr. Barker, you look handsome!" I smiled.

"You look stunning yourself Savannah. And flower for the lady."

He held out a single red rose.

"Oh it's lovely, thank you."

"Allow me, hold still."

He placed the rose in my hair like a pin. I smiled.

"Let's go to the opera."

We walked out of the flat and off to the opera house.

"It's called The Beggar's Opera, I never seen it before," Mr. Todd whispered as we were seated.

"It'll be nice, I know it."

"Shhh, it's starting."

The introduction started.

"If Poverty be a Title to Poetry, I am sure no-body can dispute mine. I own myself of the Company of Beggars; and I make one at their Weekly Festivals at St. Giles's. I have a small Yearly Salary for my Catches, and am welcome to a Dinner there whenever I please, which is more than most Poets can say." The beggar begun.

"As we live by the Muses, it is but Gratitude in us to encourage Poetical Merit wherever we find it. The Muses, contrary to all other Ladies, pay no Distinction to Dress, and never partially mistake the Pertness of Embroidery for Wit, nor the Modesty of Want for Dulness. Be the Author who he will, we push his Play as far as it will go. So (though you are in Want) I wish you success heartily." The player said.

" This piece I own was originally writ for the celebrating the Marriage of James Chaunter and Moll Lay, two most excellent Ballad-Singers. I have introduced the Similes that are in all your celebrated Operas: The Swallow, the Moth, the Bee, the Ship, the Flower, &c. Besides, I have a Prison-Scene, which the Ladies always reckon charmingly pathetic. As to the Parts, I have observed such a nice Impartiality to our two Ladies, that it is impossible for either of them to take Offence. I hope I may be forgiven, that I have not made my Opera throughout unnatural, like those in vogue; for I have no Recitative; excepting this, as I have consented to have neither Prologue nor Epilogue, it must be allowed an Opera in all its Forms. The Piece indeed hath been heretofore frequently represented by ourselves in our Great Room at St. Giles's, so that I cannot too often acknowledge your Charity in bringing it now on the Stage."

"But I see it is time for us to withdraw; the Actors are preparing to begin. Play away the Overture."

They exited the stage and it began.

"London is not a fine town," Mr. Todd whispered.

"Shh."

It felt like an eternity until the opera was finally over. It was late, almost midnight. Arms chained around each other as we walked peacefully to my home.

"Operas are more boring than they used to be," Mr. Todd said.

"It was fun when I was a girl."

"Yes."

"Benjamin Barker, you owe me fifty pounds."

"Oh yes."

He got out fifty pounds in notes out and gave it to me.

"Your prediction was true, he did kill her."

"I had a hunch he did."

"Your hunches are good Mr. Barker."

"It's Benjamin, you're a grown woman, address me by my first name when we're alone."

"Benjamin..."

*Past, Present, And Future Begins*

"What ever happened to my mother, what ever happened to my father, what ever happened to us, or what is all just lust?"

"Lust, distrust, it was all a big puff of dust," Mr. Todd sang.

"Did anybody hear her scream, did anybody hear me dream, did anybody hear us, or was it all just a fuss."

"Cowering, hollering, bellowing, what Lucy heard the night it was happening."

"What?" I asked.

"Yes."

He continued to sing.

"But I'm here now, for revenge now, then we'll bow to ourselves, and we'll celebrate."

He held both my hands and we swayed.

"How in God's name will we celebrate?"

"We'll go out to dance or we'll have some cake."

"A sponge cake which is easy to make."

"We'll make it big until it shakes."

"But either way we give or we take!" We both sang.

We stopped swaying. He turned to the window far from him.

"Give and take, Savannah. In this place. There's a hole in the world like a great black pit and it's filled with people who are filled with shit, but so little hearts inhabit it."

"That is true, but it'll all be done and through, my father, Benjamin, especially vengence."

He pointed his finger at me sternly.

"In all of the whole human race, Savannah, there are two kinds of men and only two, there's one staying put in his proper place and the one with his foot and the other one's face. Remember that, Savannah, look at him, he deserves to die!" He sang then led me to the window and pointed at my father walking down the street.

Silence for a few seconds. He hugged me.

"Now I see my little friend, you're the only one whom I have left."

"That's not true, Mrs. Lovett and Toby-"

"Outstanding!" He yelled and let go.

"And now my friend, see how you've grown. We'll put the past behind us."

"When all this is over Benjamin."

I took his hand and caressed it.

"It will be over soon."

"Very very soon Benjamin."

"But for now we'll just dream," we both sing.

"My friend, my lovely friend! And now we know, this will be over. Over and done, and we'll have peace."

"And we'll have peace," I whispered.

*Past, Present, And Future Ends (but music still going)*

We stared at each other. Then, did the most unexpected thing, I leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips! He kissed me back, even more unexpected!

"Why did you do that?" He whispered.

"Because...at last, we'll be normal again."

We gazed into each other's eyes for what seemed like an eternity. I hope we'll be at peace.