Wake me up when Chuseok ends II

Day 2

His POV

"Autumn leaves! Follow the autumn leaves?!" I hissed under my breath, kick a bottle cap on the ground and it hit the trunk of a huge tree. Halabeoji told me that I'll find the right human to break the curse if I just follow the wind carrying the autumn leaves.My heart will know when it's right.

The only consolation I have in this world is I can interact with anything that is non living thing. But after learning from Halabeoji that only an actual human who cares enough for me; to pray for my wandering soul and pay tribute for my past existence can stop the curse, I think my punisher is too keen to keep me on earth. The worst part and pushed him to reach out to me finally? If I miss to do it this season, I'll have to wait for another 200 years before I can find again the right person to break the curse.

"And he have seen me a few times but never said a word to me?!" I feel like so much time has been wasted. Have I known this, I might have done something helpful back then

"I met the human who can break my curse the day she was born. I waited years and years for the right season to come and I still didn't manage to leave this world!" Halabeoji's words are still echoing in my head. I tried everything to make him to tell me more about what happened but his lips are more sealed than any ancient jar. He only answered me with, "Perhaps we've done something very terrible during our existence to be stuck in here." followed by his subtle laugh. I don't understand how it doesn't bother him to be stuck in this endless dilemma.

I look around me and I don't know what to feel seeing the trees are already shedding their auburn leaves in autumn eve. How on earth will I know which flying leaves to follow? I sat on the edge of the pavement in an intersection as I scan my surroundings. "I'm not going to stay here for another 200 years!" I exclaim with determination but I end up putting both palms under cheeks. "But how can I find someone, let alone talk to a living person?!" I can't help but get furious as my days start to fly away from me.

I stiffened from where I sat as few tainted in red, crisp burned leaves flew in front of me and for the first time in a long time, I hear my heart beating against my chest.The sound I never thought was still there in the last centuries. I immediately get up from the pavement and follow them until I reached a bus stop. The leaves got stuck on the side window, close to the back of a stilled bus. I sat on the bench, contemplating if I was following the right path or literally, the right leaves.

Just before the bus starts to leave, I decided to hop on. But before I was able to get in, a girl jump in out of nowhere. Perks of being a wind, I thought. I stood still until she got in and then hop on afterwards. She sat on the first row near the door with eyes already fixated on the window beside her; maybe a kind of traveler who loves sight seeing. Given a different circumstances, I'd be sitting beside her as I love seeing the view from the window of a moving vehicle as well. I remember one Chuseok season where I spent the whole twelve days hopping from one vehicle to another. It's something I'll never get tired of doing. In fact, something I'll probably miss once I leave this world. I just hope I'd still remember it. But right now I have a mission I cannot fail, so I sat at the far back seat, keeping my eyes on the leaves stuck on the window.

——*——
Y/N's POV

The sunlight beaming thru your window wakes you up and the first thing you do is unlock the screen of your phone. The moment you saw that it's been more than half an hour passed since the time you're expecting your alarm to go off, you curse aloud and jump out of your bed. You run to your small bathroom fast. You can't afford to miss the first bus ride otherwise, it will take you much longer to get home due to peak hours. When you check everything is all set, you run towards the bus stop and you're catching your breath the moment you see the bus from the distance and it's still there. You run even faster and the moment you reach the door of the bus, a guy is on the act of getting in as well. You're too fast on your feet to even stop and make way for him, so you just jump in anyway. You felt awkward for not apologizing right away to the incident so you just pretend to be looking outside the window. You pray silently in your head, hoping he would not make a fuss about it. You're holding your breath as you feel his eyes on you and when he just walk straight to the back, you let out a deep breath.