TWO

"And that's all you know, Miss Elena?" Detective Russo asked for the millionth time during questioning.

"I told you. I took my siblings to the park upon Evan's request, and I left the back way because Evan and Lucas were in the kitchen." I recanted once more. "Evan didn't want any of us to bother her when Lucas came over that's why I didn't even say goodbye to her." 

The detective considered this for a minute. "Thank you, Miss Elena, I'm sorry to have asked you twice."

"I understand." I sighed. "It doesn't seem right, but it's what happened. You don't know how many times I wish now that I had gone into the kitchen, maybe Evan would be alive now." 

"Thank you again and if we need anything else we'll be in contact, Miss Elena." 

A rookie cop led me back to the front where the rest of my family waited to give statements. 

I took Evie from Mother as she was taken back with the same rookie. "Hi, baby girl." I kissed Evie's head. "We won't be here long."

From across the room Esme glared at me. I knew she would be trouble, but I wasn't worried. 

After all blondes are a dime a dozen nowadays.

+++

"Why not?" I questioned.

"Because," The boy started, "I don't want you too?"

"That sounded like a question. Now do you mind turning around so I can get dressed?" I asked, motioning to the towel.

The boy slowly turned away, not that it really helped because he turned toward the mirror.

Something about him felt so familiar to me. I had seen him before I just knew it.

I slipped the dress over my head. "Do you go to Fulton?" I inquired harmlessly.

"Yeah-I mean no!" He rushed out, panic creeping in his tone.

He turned back around, his green eyes focused on my leg. "Sit."

I sat down quickly due to the fact he still held the knife.

The brunette boy grabbed the first aid before kneeling in front of me. "Your leg is bleeding." He said simply then started to clean the wound.

"You're in my house blooding and you're worried about my shin?" This kid made no sense.

That's when it hit me. Jeremiah Joseph Brookes or JJ Brookes for short. We had been lab partners a few times and once we had an English paper due together.

His older brother Kyle had dated my sister for six months before leaping off the bridge downtown. He was the first person to commit suicide in Gravesten since the mid 1980's. The whole Brookes' family blamed Evangeline for Kyle's death. 

"JJ, why are you here?" I asked calmly.

Something about knowing this was practically the nicest guy in our whole town calmed my nerves some.

JJ finished wrapping my knee then sighed. "I came here to kill your whole family for what Evangeline did to my brother, but after I realized you were her sister I couldn't kill you." He explained softly. "Don't worry the only person I hurt was her. I didn't touch any of your other siblings, I wouldn't hurt a child."

A smile crept onto my face. "Lets get you changed I'm sure my sister has some of Lucas' clothes around here somewhere." I stood and slid my cardigan on. "Take off your old clothes and hide them in the hamper along with the knife." I left to get clothes. 

Within minutes, I had two sets of Lucas' clothes in my hands. One for JJ and the other for Evangeline. 

"Put these on." 

JJ blushed a little before motioning for me to turn away. 

"Hey, It's only fair you saw me in a towel; I saw you in your boxers." I joked, looking away. 

A small tap to my shoulder told me he was finished. 

"Why are you helping me?" JJ asked after a minute. 

"Because Evan was an evil girl and someone had to be the one to take her down." I said. "People should be thanking you for what you've done." 

He gave me a confused look, big green eyes portraying the confusion loud and clear. 

"Come on let's go cover up the sloppy job you did before you go to prison."