THREE

Mother and Father were obviously not that torn up over the death of their oldest because here we are a week later and they're halfway to the Bahamas with Evangeline's body. Apparently she had left instructions to be buried in the Bahamas where she was conceived. I don't know she was weird anyway. 

Seeing as I am now the oldest Rose sibling, I was in charge of everything. My first order being to send Esme to her friends house so she wouldn't be spying on me. 

Esme was so consumed on finding out that I was dirty that it had become her every waking thought.

JJ assured me that Esme would be over this as soon as Lucas was sentenced, but I wasn't so sure about that. 

But I didn't really have time to worry about that right now. I would see JJ tonight and we would discuss the new details in the case. 

For now, however, I will continue to lounge on my bed with Kaylie while Evie played in the floor. 

"So you're really going out with a guy that you barely know?" Kaylie asked.

I nodded. "He's a good guy, Kay, trust me." 

Kaylie shook her Starbucks cup so the ice rattled. "Wake up, Lena! This is the twenty-first century he could be a psychopath, or worse a Nazi." She stated matter-of-factly. 

"You've been listening to your brother's WWII crap too much." I pointed out. "No Nazis, Kaylie, this isn't 1944." 

Evie giggled, reaching up to hand Kaylie a fake cookie. "Cookie, KK!" Evie squealed happily. 

"Thank you, Ev." Kaylie took the little plastic cookie. "Tell Sissy she's insane." 

"Sissy insane!" Evie giggled then returned to playing. 

I stole Kaylie's drink. "That was rude." 

Kaylie Wilks was quite possibly the best best friend in the entire world. We had met the summer before sixth grade when she moved in next door and instantly clicked. 

Kaylie was incredibly gay, but that didn't bother me any because she was still just my best friend. 

"That's my vanilla creme frappuccino!" Kaylie protested. 

"Nah, not anymore it isn't a Nazi stole it." I joked, picking up Evie from the ground. 

Kaylie crossed her arms and huffed in fake annoyance. "My parents left Calvin in charge. It isn't my fault that my older brother is obsessed with world wars." 

Calvin Wilks was a masters student from Yale who's major was war history so needless to say he talked a lot about wars and plagues. 

He hated that his sister hung out with the likes of "rich, stuck up Gravesten royalty". To which Kaylie had responded that I was the Kylie to her Anastasia. I couldn't argue with her, but I was not stuck up. 

Calvin also liked to teach her about gay conversion camps that he was going to send her to if she didn't quite literally straighten out. It didn't phase her much especially considering I would never let that happen.

Evie happily clapped her hands as Kaylie made funny faces at her. 

"So when will your parents be back?"

"Sunday at the earliest, but I don't care." 

Kaylie smiled. She always stayed with us until my parents came back which was a nice break for her especially since her brother was watching her for a month. "What about Esme is she still obsessed with the idea that you killed Evan?"

"Yeah which is why I sent her to Lisa's house until Mother and Father return." I stood with Evie. "I need to make dinner before my date." 

Kaylie nodded. "I'm coming." She took Evie from me. "You and me are going to have lots of fun while sissy is gone."

"Yeah!" Evie cheered. "KK play." 

"KK will play with you." I kissed her head. "I won't be gone long hopefully."