NINE

"JJ, dinner." A feminine voice called from somewhere above the children. 

A preteen JJ kicked at a rock in anger for he had just found what he had wanted. "Elisa, would you let my mother know I will be in when I'm in." 

Elisabeth was taken back by the request. "Why? Don't you want dinner?" She asked, laying a hand on his forearm. "You know how your father will react." 

JJ gave the girl a long stare as if she were speaking a foreign language that he had never heard before. "Did I ask for your opinion, little Elisa?" He countered. "You're going to make me miss it."

Elisabeth shook her head. "No you didn't."

"Then run along before I get cranky." JJ made a shooing movement, anxious to watch the same encounter he had every day for the past year.

+++

"Lizzy?" I snapped my fingers in front of her face. 

Lizzy jumped and looked up at me. "Yeah? Sorry I was just thinking."

"I said I'm going now." I repeated, smiling. "You and Kaylie have fun tonight." 

"We will." Lizzy looked troubled. "Hey, Lena?" 

"Yeah, Liz?" I grabbed my stuff. 

"Be careful, Elena, okay? JJ isn't someone to be trusted or taken lightly." She grabbed a small book from a shelf then crossed the room to place it in my hands. "You don't have to believe me just read this." 

I sighed. Elisabeth was paranoid, but I didn't want to offend her so I took the little notebook and left without another word. 

The fact that JJ hadn't called me since I saw him for the murder was a little alarming, but I'm sure everything is fine. No news is good news right?

I decided to go by his house and see if he was okay. As I neared the house I realized neither his Mustang nor his truck were in the driveway, but I tried to shake it off. Maybe he was out or they were in the garage. 

Making my way to the door, I came to the realization that this would be the first time I would meet his parents that he talked about so highly. I was suddenly aware of my appearance. I cursed myself for not changing first. 

I knocked and only waited a minute before a woman in her mid-forties with long straight dark hair answered the door. 

"Hello, may I help you?" She asked curiously. 

"Yes, ma'am, I'm Elena Rose, I'm here to see your son JJ?" I said politely. 

"Who?" She asked.

"Sorry. I'm here to see Jeremiah Joseph." I corrected myself. "Your son?" 

The lady shook her head. "Honey, you have the wrong address the only kid I have is a four-month-old baby girl named Adalynn." She explained. "I'm really sorry I can't help you more."

"I'm so sorry." I sighed. "Maybe I got the address wrong; have a nice night, Ma'am." I turned on my heels and left before she could speak. 

Once back in the car, I checked the text with his address on it that he had sent the day I took Kaylie to meet him. It was an exact match.

Why had he lied? I mean I obviously don't care where he lives I love him no matter what. I guess I'll just ask him on the phone. 

I clicked the number and hit call. Immediately the standard message came up saying that the phone had been disconnected or that I had dialed the wrong number.

That was the number. I had the contact saved in my phone it's not like I could have misdialed the number.

Maybe he was out of service or he broke his phone. I'm sure he'll show up at my house and have an explanation for all of this. I just know he will. 

The small black notebook taunts me from the passenger seat. Did it really hold all the answers to JJ Brooks? No I wouldn't look in there. 

It was probably not true besides JJ would have told me if there was anything I needed to know. Right?