Chapter 1 - Desperately Seeking Solace

I've never ventured this far into the woods before. The sun is already low in the sky but my feet keep dragging me further as if I was trying to escape the devil himself. I can't seem to stop. There's a gnawing need to get away from everything. From home. From life. These woods usually give me some solace but not today. Not lately.

The ominous cries of the crows reverberate through the forest above the sound of the rustling leaves and the creaking of the tree branches. It serves as a warning for me to stop. It's reminding me that when the sun disappears, I'd be lost in this woods if I didn't turn back now. I'd be cold and all alone.

I let my steps falter, then they come to a complete stop as I take in my dreary surroundings. The fall colors are gone and the leaves are now mostly rotting on the ground. Tall trees are looming all around me. Their bare branches look eerily like dry human skeletons; bone-white limbs and thin, skeletal fingers, reaching out to crush unsuspecting souls within their deadly, bony grip.

It occurs to me that something isn't adding up. There's a stream that cuts through our property that marks the beginning of an overgrown field. Why haven't I come across the stream yet? Surely I've walked far enough.

My senses become alert and wariness suddenly sweeps over me as I get the feeling of being watched. The skin across my back and my arms break into goosebumps.

A snap of a twig makes me jump. "Who's there?"

Another snap and I whirl around. "Hello?"

There are more sounds of snapping twigs before a lithe tall figure steps out in front of me from behind the trees.

The darkest green eyes framed by a fringe of black lashes on a proud patrician face are regarding me cooly. I know him. Elias Gauthier.

We might go to the same school, but we don't run in the same circle. This is probably the first time I come face to face with him.

I take a moment to take him in. Tall and broad shoulders. Thick dark unruly curls that can only be described as sex hair touch his collar. High cheekbones above the sharp jawline.

I know he's good looking but I never paid him any attention. Until now.

Now we are regarding each other like we're assessing an unknown entity. Friend or foe. At least that's what it feels like to me. His haughty expression, the slant of his dark eyebrows, the way his piercing eyes are skimming over me in disdain before settling over my face seems as though he's already made up his mind about me a long time ago.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him when I finally find my voice.

He flashes me the whitest straight teeth. If a smile can be described as cold as ice, his is it. Even so, he's definitely stunning. "I should be asking you that question, Duchess. You're trespassing on private property. My property."

Am I really on his property now? I don't normally come anywhere near Gauthier's property. Both of our properties are sizeable enough that most of the time I kinda forget that we share a border. This is definitely the first time that I've encountered someone in these woods.

More footsteps approaching and I swing my eyes towards three more newcomers. Surprise color the faces of the other two when they see me. I recognize them too. Tyler Erikson and Justin Feron.

"Well, well, well...look who's decided to grace us with her presence." Ronan Gauthier, Elias's twin brother steps up to stand beside him. "Katherine Blackwell. What an honor and a pleasant surprise." From his tone, it doesn't sound like it's a pleasant surprise at all. Actually, both Gauthier boys didn't seem at all surprised or pleased to see me.