Chapter 3 - Late Night Visits

Waves of exhaustion hit me as I make my way back to my room under the same dim lights of the hallway. Later tonight, Mary will come up to turn the lights off.

I try to suppress a yawn as I climb up the stairs and walk down another hallway. I'm mentally and physically tired. Something brushes itself against my legs when I pause in front of my bedroom door.

"Oh, hello Yokai," I say to my ragdoll mix. "Where did you come from?" I pick him up and cuddle him in my arms like a baby. He starts purring as I bury my face in his soft fur.

"I met some jerks in the woods today," I whisper into his fur as I bring him to my room. I push the door closed with my foot then I place Yokai in the middle of my bed.

My room is on the third floor even though there are a lot of empty bedrooms on the second level. My bedroom isn't the biggest one in the house either. I chose it when I was nine because it has a cozy window seat and I think it allows in the most sunlight compared to the other rooms in the whole house, except for the solarium.

"They go to my school but they were so rude to me, Yokai," I complain to the cat. "Especially this guy, Elias. Ughh, just the thought of him makes me mad all over again.

"He said that I was nothing to him but he's nothing to me too. Actually, he's less than nothing to me. I don't even know him," I continue. "Oh Yokai, I really shouldn't even be thinking about him."

Yokai rolls over on his back and rubs his head against my hand. I stroke Yokai's chin before I pull out my laptop. I have an essay due Monday and today is already Wednesday. I'm usually on top of things...just not lately.

I struggle with my essay because my mind isn't in it. It keeps going back to my grandmother and the ache in my heart grows and grows until my eyes prickle.

I love my grandmother, she's the only mother figure that I know. Apart from Aunt Agatha and an uncle who lives thousands of miles away, she's the only family that I have. I wonder if my grandmother will ever get up and be her loving self again. I want to hear her voice and her laughter. I want her to look at me with love in her eyes like she used to, not the sinister hungry stare she's giving me now.

My grandmother will get better...won't she? What if she doesn't? What will I do without her? My heart is heavy these days. It's been heavy for the last two weeks.

I push my laptop away and walk over to the window where I see mostly darkness. There are no stars or the moon in the sky. I can't even see the tombstones down there now but I can feel the storm coming. Up the hill, beyond the woods, I see lights flickering from the Gauthier mansion, like stars from billions of miles away. That brings my thoughts back to Elias Gauthier.

What is he doing? What are they up to now? Whatever it is, I bet they're not as lonely as I am.

He seemed to dislike me and I don't know why. I don't think I've ever offended him. We've hardly exchanged more than five words before today. Was it such a big deal that I accidentally meandered into their property?

I shouldn't allow him any headspace but Elias Gauthier keeps invading my thoughts.

I sit back in front of my laptop but I end up stroking Yokai absently as my mind wanders. I yawn a few times and finally, I give up all pretenses of trying to work on my essay. I'm exhausted. Lack of sleep for so many nights, fresh air, and the long walk I had today tire me out.

"Come on, you!" I pick Yokai up from my bed and he meows in protest. "I'm sorry, Yokai, but I'm going to bed. Off you go." I put him outside my bedroom and close the door.

I turn off the light and pull the cover all the way up to my chin. Despite my troubled thoughts, it doesn't take long for me to drift off.

*****