Chapter 10 - A Hellish Day

A big part of me wants to confront Jane over what she did but I see that people are watching. News travels fast and excited faces in the hallway are waiting for something to happen. Too bad I'm not a fan of providing a real live entertainment for the student body...more than I already have.

I slam the locker shut and walk away with my chin up, pretending as if nothing is bothering me.

*****

"Stop touching me," I snap when he reaches for my hand.

"Come on, Cat, people are staring," he says, wrapping his arm around my shoulder while smiling and waving at his buddies who are sitting on the other side of the bleachers.

I'm already regretting my decision the meet up with him.

The day is surprisingly warm for the season and many students are taking advantage of the beautiful weather by having lunch outside.

"Five minutes, Dillon," I remind him. I have no intention of spending more than five minutes in his company.

"Come on, Cat. I've got you Leo's signature veggie pizza. I asked for extra kalamata olives and mushrooms." He lifts up a box in his hand. My heart softens a bit. He knows my favorite. He must have gotten one of the juniors to get it.

We agree to sit on the far bench, away from everybody else.

"I heard you got into trouble with your coach today?" I ask him. I overheard that he had a fight with one of his teammates.

"Well...yeah," he mutters, taking out a slice of pizza from the box and places the rest between us.

"Do you think that's wise considering you have a game tomorrow?"

"Anderson was talking about asking you out to some guys. You just don't do that to your teammates and buddies," he mutters moodily.

Yeah, like a decent boyfriend wouldn't be sleeping with his girlfriend's best friend. I'm not telling him that one of his teammates already did ask me out earlier today. It wasn't Bash Anderson, though, it was someone else.

"Well, don't get into any more fights," I warn him. Despite everything, I still do care about him. You can't just flip the switch off of years of friendship. "Tomorrow's game is important. You don't want Coach Mathews to bench you, and you know he will."

"See? This is why I need you, Cat. You're like no one else, you look out for me," he says.

I let out a bitter laugh. Yeah, we've known each other for so long, I know all about his cold, emotionally repressed parents. "That's why you cheated on me."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you, Cat. I'm sorry you had to see that...last night. It was a mistake. Give me another chance. Please...everyone deserves a second chance. You can't just throw away what we have just like that."

"I'm not throwing it away just like that, Dillon. You cheated on me! And with Jane of all people," I exclaim. I stop to take a few deep breaths. My voice is getting too loud again. I clench my fists around the edge of the wooden bench before I continue with a lower voice, "I don't think I can get over last night. Every time I look at you, I remember what you looked like last night. With them."

He looks pained. "I told you, I am sorry...but we can't be over. We're not over. I refuse to accept that."

He refuses to accept that? I lift an eyebrow in disbelief as I stare at him.

"We're good together, Cat. Come on, we've been good together for so long. We're the golden couple. No one else is better for you, Cat. And no one else is better for me but you. Don't do this to us."