Chapter 13 - The Shelter

I think I passed out, just for a second or two but when I come to, my nose is pressed to his chest.

Elias Gauthier. I don't know why I came to Elias, but I feel that I need him.

My clothes are soaked through and I'm dripping wet but he's sitting on a chair with me cradled in his lap.

My brain feels foggy. I feel numb and disconnected from everything around me. The only anchor that I have to the real world is Elias, so I hold on to him.

"What happened, Katherine?" He attempts to pull back but I cling to him tighter. I press my face into his neck and won't let go. I need his scent to make me forget the other smell. I need him to hold me so other things can't touch me.

"Hey, you're safe now. I've got you." His voice is low and soothing. I realize that there's a blanket wrapped around the two of us.

"Should we call the police?" somebody asks.

There's the sound of the front door being opened and my heart jumps in my chest. I press myself closer to Elias while craning my neck to look at the door.

Two men are stepping in from the storm outside, shedding their wet leather jackets off. They look formidable and one of them says, "No, this is not something that the police should be involved in."

"What happened, son?" an older man who's sitting not far away from Elias and me asks, walking away. They all disappear into a hallway that leads to another room. I hear their muffled voices talking and the closing of the door behind them.

"It's fine, you're safe," Elias whispers soothingly. His hand at the base of my head gently presses my face back into the curve of his neck.

"Is that her? Is she Katherine?" A hushed voice of a man is asking behind me.

"That's her. She's in shock. Poor girl."

"She's also soaking wet and very cold," says Elias. "She might catch pneumonia if we don't get her out of these clothes soon."

"I'll draw her a warm bath," offers someone else.

"That's a very good idea," says Elias again before he gets up and carries me upstairs.

We enter a bright, white marbled bathroom with the sound of the water running in the tub. There's a lady hovering close.

Elias places me on my feet and the woman tries to peel my wet cardigan off me. But I hang on to Elias, gripping his waist and burying my face further into his chest.

"I'll do it, maman," he says quietly to the lady.

"Elias, is that a good idea? I mean, she's in shock now but she might not like the idea, later. I can help her bathe."

"No, let me do it. I'll look after her," he says, sounding very decisive.

There's a pause. "D'accord, mon fils," she allows with a sigh before she gently touches my hair then quietly leaves.

He keeps his arms around me until my muscles relaxed and I sag against him.

"I'm going to let go for a bit, okay, Katherine?" My muscles involuntarily tighten up again. "I'm not going anywhere," he says, gently rubbing my shoulder. "I'm not going to leave you. I'm just going to get your wet clothes off. I'll be right here with you. I'm not going anywhere."

He's not going anywhere. After a while, I ease my fingers.

He slowly pulls his arms away and I catch a reflection of a girl with a thin, almost transparent, wet, muddy nightgown in the bathroom mirror. Her eyes are large and haunted. Her lips are purple and her skin is deathly pale. Pine needles, twigs, and dry leaves are tangled in her wet hair. There are scratches and strands of wet hair sticking to her face.