Chapter 4 - Polite School Reject

"Well, that's too bad, isn't it?" snaps Jane. "Cat already has a boyfriend."

My boyfriend, Dillon chooses that moment to show up. "Hello, Kitty Cat," he says, pulling me into his arms. I used to hate that nickname but now I think it's cute.

I smile and try to give Dillon my whole attention even though my mind stays on someone else. Someone whose dark green eyes are currently burning holes into the side of my face. Someone who's making my heart flip and my skin tingle with his burning stare.

"Hey, Dillon." I focus on his charming smile and his friendly blue eyes.

My smile must be very convincing since Dillon leans down and give me a long lingering kiss on the lips. I try to focus on his lips on mine and the familiar smell of soap on his skin.

When Dillon lifts his face up, my eyes immediately slide over his shoulder. A tall, broad-shouldered figure with messy, dark curly hair is disappearing through the closing back door. The goth chick, Roxanne spares our group a dirty stare before she follows him out.

"Are you okay?" asks Dillon, watching me closely. A little smile is still playing on his lips but his eyebrows rise questioningly.

"Yeah, I'm good," I tell him. "Why?" I have to force my gaze from straying to the back exit where Elias had just gone through. I remind myself that my boyfriend is handsome, popular, and most importantly, he adores me and I'm lucky to have him. I should not be thinking about someone else.

"I don't know, you seem a bit distracted lately," Dillon replies.

"I'm fine. Hey, did you have practice this morning?" My fingers graze his short dark blond hair that's still damp from the shower. Dillon is a wide receiver on our football team. Sometimes he has to come early for practice.

"Yeah, we had to come early today..." he begins before he's interrupted by Giselle who inserts herself in between the two of us.

She places her arms around our shoulders and says, "Dillon, tell your girlfriend to come to Bradley's party tonight."

"What? You're not going?" Dillon asks me.

"I told you yesterday that I wasn't going."

"Yeah, but I thought you'd change your mind." His tone changes and his eyebrows come down into a slight frown.

Giselle gives me an apologetic look before she slowly backs away.

"Come on, Cat," he coaxes. "We haven't been spending much time together lately. I was hoping we'd get to hang out tonight. Maybe we can take off early from the party and drive down to the cottage. Just you and me."

His family's cottage is near the lake, 45 minutes away from here. His parents rarely go there. But if we went, we wouldn't get home till very late.

"I don't know, Dillon...maybe some other time. Maybe we'll hang out this weekend."

"You know I have an away game this weekend," he says, sounding very upset again.

His friend, Jace nudges him from behind.

"I have to go," he abruptly announces. Then he backs away and takes off with his buddies without saying another word.

I pinch the bridge of my nose as I feel a slight headache coming.

"I'm sorry, Cat. I didn't mean to cause trouble," says Giselle. I notice that Jane and Tilly are already gone.

I sigh as I grab Giselle's arm. "It's not your fault. I'm not going to the party, so it's bound to happen. Let's get to class before we get into trouble with Mrs. Martin." Mrs. Martin is very strict and for whatever reason, she seems to dislike me.