Chapter 1

My eyes crack open as the sun's rays break through the curtain-covered window. I stretch out my limbs- my toned body contorting in various ways to wake itself up for the new day. I rub my eyes and slowly get out of my soft bed. My bare feet pad along the hard floor, yawns escaping my mouth as I enter the kitchen. My father, my mother, and my four  younger siblings sit around the cramped wooden table, the children hastily consuming their morning porridge before heading off to town to play with their friends.

"Good morning, Briar dearest," my father greeted me, standing up from his seat at the table, "I wasn't sure if you were ever getting up," he joked, touching my shoulder lightly.

"Good morning, father," I replied, my smile still as bright as ever, despite just being woken up from the comforting arms of sleep.

While father prepared to leave for his shop, I ate my porridge and talked with my mother, and my siblings got ready to go out.

"Mama," the second youngest, Mary, asked my mother, "When is Pettie coming home?"

"I don't know when he's coming home, sweetie," my mother replied, "He's busy protecting the kingdom, just like Papa and Granddad did. Don't worry about him, he can protect himself."

My older brother, Peterkin, was one of the greatest knights in all of Kateon. He took on myriads of beasts and took them down with little to no effort.  He was very close with the royal family, and was an invaluable asset to our kingdom. He's so well loved, he was even given the title: Peterkin the Mighty.

Once he got out of the Royal Knight academy, he immediately came home to teach me what he learned. How to defend yourself, how to fight with a sword, among other weapons,  and how to survive in harsh environments. Despite being the second oldest child in a family full of Knights- my parents didn't want me to become one.

'You should stay home, there's no need for a beautiful lady like you to fight,'

'Leave the dragons and demons to the men, darling,'

But I always knew, deep inside me, that I was meant to go on my own adventure, and make my own name for myself. But for now, I stay in this nice house, with my family who only wants to love and protect me.

    As my father was about to leave the house, a knock came from the door. Surprised, my father opened the door, and a royal messenger stood outside- his young face a mask of sadness.

"This is the home of Sir Peterkin the Mighty, correct?" The boy addressed my father,

"Yes it is, young man. Is there news of my son?" My father replied, the whole house silent in anxiousness for news of Peterkin.

"I am sorry sir, but your son has been taken captive by the Hellborn Triad- we can only assume his fate in the hands of those devils," The boy replied, looking away from us. I turned to my mother; her hand covered her mouth, tears running down her face. My siblings looked at my mother worriedly, while I turned my attention to my father. He backed away from the doorway, his eyes wide in shock.

I didn't know what to think. My brother is one of the strongest people I know. He could slay ten monsters in less than five minutes. I knew that this 'Hellborn Triad' were mighty demons who tormented Kateon for decades, but I knew that my brother would be able to at least get out of that fight alive.

"He can't be dead," I say. My parents and the messenger turn to me, "He's Peterkin the Mighty. He can take on anything. He knows how to survive. He's probably waiting for a rescue mission.  You're planning a rescue mission, right?"

My father touched my shoulder gently, his eyes filled with pity, "Briar, the Hellborn Triad are merciless monsters. Even if he could destroy them, the Burning Badlands is an inhospitable land- there's no way he could get out of there alive."

He looked past me, and at the messenger, "Will we be responsible to arrange his funeral?"

"No sir, his majesty wishes to pay for all funeral expenses. Peterkin was a good friend and ally to him, it is the least he could do."

"Give his majesty our thanks," my father replied, "Let us mourn."

(Count: 743)