Chapter 3

As soon as night fell, and I was sure my family was asleep, I made work on my plan. I put on the clothes Peterkin gave me when we spared, and snached my longsword from its place in his room. I fastened the sheath to my belt, and slid the blade into it. Sneaking into the kitchen, I filled two sacks with food, and filled my father's largest flask with water.

"Bribri," A whispering voice called to me, and I jumped. Mary was standing in front of me, her eyes filled with her usual child-like wonder, "Are you going out to help Pettie?"

"Yes, Mary, I am," I smiled, and she returned it.

"Be careful, okay Briri? And bring him home, please, I miss him."

"Of course, Mary. I will bring him home," I leaned down and hugged her, and her small arms wrapped around my neck.

"Don't worry, Bribri, I won't tell mama or papa. Your secret mission is safe with me,"  she whispered in my ear, and she gave my cheek a kiss as she pulled away. She reached up for a piece of bread, and ran back to the room she shared with her siblings.

With new confidence, I quietly make my way to the stables, where our horses reside. Jasmine was a gorgeous horse. She was grey with white spots throughout her body. I got her for my twelfth birthday, and we've been best friends ever since. 

When I enter the stable,  Jasmine trots impatiently- almost as if she's been waiting for me to come. I let her out of her stall, and throw her blanket and saddle on her back. After fixing my supplies to her saddle, I swing on, and we slowly trot out of the stable. When we were far enough from the house, we broke into a canter, and soon enough, we were on the way to the burning badlands- one step closer to saving my brother.

(Count: 325)